Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between ls1 and ls6

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default difference between ls1 and ls6

i was wondering what the difference was between the ls1 and ls6. i know 2001 and up have the same intake. would an ls1 with ls6 intake with head and cam swap make same power as a ls6 with similar head and cam swap?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad bouse
i was wondering what the difference was between the ls1 and ls6. i know 2001 and up have the same intake. would an ls1 with ls6 intake with head and cam swap make same power as a ls6 with similar head and cam swap?
the heads/cam/intake are the main differences..

if you put an ls6 intake/heads/cam on an ls1, it will make the same power as an ls6..

ls6 has a better path for oil.. and i believe is a bit stronger..

no significant difference.. just a better revised block..
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

thats kinda what i figured but was unsure. so i'm guessin that it has the same rotating assembly. thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats kinda what i figured but was unsure. so i'm guessin that it has the same rotating assembly. thanks
it has different lifters,springs, etc... not sure on internals though..
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

reason i'm askin was i was thinking about finding a older ls6 motor/cam and swap my ls1 motor out and slowly stroke up my ls1 on the side or dont do the ls6 and just do cam heads and complete valvetrain on the ls1. decisions decisions! thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

reason i'm askin was i was thinking about finding a older ls6 motor/cam and swap my ls1 motor out and slowly stroke up my ls1 on the side or dont do the ls6 and just do cam heads and complete valvetrain on the ls1. decisions decisions! thanks
if it were me...

id keep your setup stock...

and start building something on the sides... grab a block, if you wanna forge it do that.... then save up for some nice heads..... then decide your cam.. then springs, lifter, rockers, etc... then your intake..

THEN swap in that one and pull you ls1.. sell the ls1 to make back some money.. and put that money towards a rear end..

all you have left to do is your tranny and you have a fully built car, no loans/debt.. and will be built correctly with nice parts....

just my .02 though...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

i thought that but my ls1 is startin to suffer internaly. I thought on maybe lookin for an escalade motor and go boost because of the lowered compression and displacement. But like you said i could just get a block and put a strong rotating assembly in it. I got 50 ideas but only one paycheck. once again decisions decisions.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

i thought that but my ls1 is startin to suffer internaly. I thought on maybe lookin for an escalade motor and go boost because of the lowered compression and displacement. But like you said i could just get a block and put a strong rotating assembly in it. I got 50 ideas but only one paycheck. once again decisions decisions.
i feel ya man!

Quick Reply: difference between ls1 and ls6