Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a Cartek Stage IIx pkg they have installed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone have a Cartek Stage IIx pkg they have installed?

Just like the title states. Has anyone bought a Stage IIx package outright from Cartek (not installed by Cartek), and installed it themselves. Just looking for HP, etc.. on a "non-shop" car.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone have a Cartek Stage IIx pkg they have installed?

I had their stage 2x LS1 head package on my 1998 A4 Corvette. The car made 397 RWHP and 393 RWTQ. The car had a very loose converter and all the usual bolt ons.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:04 PM

Thanks...

Any Stg IIx LS6?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not but a local vette acquaitance of mine here in chicago has on his 2001 C5 M6 coupe and only made about 420 rwhp and needless to say he was dissappointed.

I have not heard of any other high shops getting close to the success that CARTEK gets when they install and tune their own packages.

The key for their package to perform like a champ in my opinion is getting JULIOS EXPERT tuning which seems to be TOP NOTCH and some of the best LS1 tuning in the U.S. As you know they have backed up their incredible dyno numbers at both the tracks out east and even down in florida when BRET broke into the 10s on his Z06.

JULIO obviously knows a few tricks to get his package to come together perfectly. I would not have high expectations to get the awesome numbers they get without Cartek doing the install and tuning. THEY HAVE THE MAGIC TOUCH!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do. Cartek did not install the package, but did tune it on the dyno. With my A4, QTP headers, ASP pully and ls6 intake and 30lb injectors I got 427 RWHP and 395 TQ. This is a full option conv with a roll bar..added weight). I ran high 11's with tranny and traction issues.I have a few friends locally with the LS1-2x package as well...all make between 420 and 442 HP (I have the slowest Et's due to tranny and weight I think)...which is why I paid "extra" for a proven package. I have 880 or so miles on mine and am selling it...I will give the guys another day or two and then re-list it if payment is not received.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

J-Rod,Are you interested in the package because you want to buy one or are you just looking to start some ****?I tend to think it's the latter.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe its a valid question.

I give mad props to Cartek for thier amazing cars but I havent seen anyone not in the northeast with numbers that impressive from their Cartek heads/cam.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 AM

If I was out to stir something up, you'd know it. I'd come out with a ton of smack talk like a bunch of other folks who I have seen recently.

As I have said before, I called Dave several months ago and inquired about your package. My question was a very simple one. If you don't have it installed, @ Cartek, are folks getting the same power as they do if they have it installed @ Cartek. Nothing more...

The car installed and tuned @ Cartek make good numbers, and they have good track times. I don't think anyone can dispute that, nor wants to. My question was simply is that what is required to get the same numbers. From what I am reading here, if someone wanted the big numbers, they'd have to send their car. If that is anyway incorrect, feel free to make whatever corrections need be made.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm glad it's a valid question,as far as out of state cars not making the numbers,many of these packages are not full blown LS6 X-packages,some have LS1 heads,smaller cams,also,the tuning of the package is critical,there seems to be a lot of backyard tuners out there that don't what there doing.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:02 PM

Well, thats my question has anyone other than a Cartek in house car ever gotten a Stage IIx package with LS6 heads that has not been installed in house?

So far, all I am aware of is just strictly the in house stuff. Brent, kh24, etc... If someone out there has the package installed and didn't use Julio and his "tuning magic" I was wondering what they could expect out of a Stage IIx package. Out of a 224/228 cam I could easily see the 420-430RWHP that I have seen reported here in this thread from just about any car with a simple tune.

I also agree if they do a cam only or do a Cam with LS1 heads I wouldn't expect the numbers to be as high either.

I guess Julio or Dave can address this if they feel like it. Which is, does anyone out there have a IIx (non-Cartek installed), if someone buys it and does it themselves, what should they expect?

Lets come up with a for instance. Lets say one of the guys here in Houston bought a IIx packages for his Z06 instaled it, and took it to MTI to get tuned. What should they expect...
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

They should expect similar numbers to any "Juilio" tuned car, but maybe not quite the same cause ..well..he knows his package.Come to think of it, are there any MTI head cam packages in the Northeast making the same # they make when tuned at MTI...honestly dont know the answer...but could this be true of everyones package? Maybe the answer is choose someone nearbye, buy their best package and get "their" number. Let me say this, I have never seen any company consistantly produce a package that is as consistant as Carteks. Thats a mouthful. I, for one, wish I lived in Texas, not for any other reason that the sheer quantity of ls1's there.... Okay, the freedom in Texas is appealing too.
J-Rod... got an idea, you buy my package, have a local tuner tune it...then I'll kick in $250 towards you taking it to Julio to see if its any better...my guess is a few HP. Help me help you get the answer to this question. In the end, its a valid question. Please send a check today.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J-Rod,Are you interested in the package because you want to buy one or are you just looking to start some ****?I tend to think it's the latter.
Get a clue. The moderators do not look to start stuff on our board. It is a valid question.

Julio is a good tuner and he obviously knows how to get the power out of his package. There are other shops (JPR comes to mind) who stand by their performance claims when they do the work and tune because they know everything is done the way they want it; and by listening to the engine, by test driving, and by dynoing tuning they are able to identify the small stuff that may hold back a few HP here or there.

If I were buying that set-up, I would make the drive to Cartek for at least the tune; if not the install too. Same goes for other shops.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Julio is a good tuner and he obviously knows how to get the power out of his package. There are other shops (JPR comes to mind) who stand by their performance claims when they do the work and tune because they know everything is done the way they want it; and by listening to the engine, by test driving, and by dynoing tuning they are able to identify the small stuff that may hold back a few HP here or there.
If I were buying that set-up, I would make the drive to Cartek for at least the tune; if not the install too. Same goes for other shops.

I agree 100%. Well Said. If you choose CARTEKS package drive or get your car hauled to CARTEK for them to do the install and tuning and if not, don't expect to get the same awesome results on both the dyno and more importantly the TRACK!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
8 Second Club

I'm sure that Cartek ( Julio ) would send an edit file to anyone who purchases the package, heads cam or whatever. As I'm sure MTI or any other good vendor tuner would due. You can't keep edit tunes a secret-almost any shop can upload the file and read it and see what changes where made.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:01 AM
Launching!

I remember a C5 gentlemen from MD that had a cartek package installed at Tony's corvette shop.

I think he hit the numbers advertised.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Dave and Julio can send out LS1 Edit files and will spend time in the evenings on a cell phone giving advice on dynoing I think that those guys are very solid.

For a long time the record holder M6 h/c car in Chicago was a Cartek setup from like 2-3 years ago.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get a clue. The moderators do not look to start stuff on our board. It is a valid question.

Ditto there was nothing inflammatory in his question whatsoever
Old 10-16-2003, 06:26 AM

Anybody else?

From the lack of activity, and replies in this thread I would guess that most of the Cartek packages are in house only. I was hoping that Dave or Julio might pop in and give some info one way or the other on what they have seen.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

J-Rod, Dave and Julio usually only post to congrat their own cars nowadays. This question would have been best posed in the vette forum. Good luck with your new set-up. I'm sure it's gonna move out!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure of any 'far away' Cartek Stage IIX package cars that make the same exact numbers (or MORE IMPORTANTLY run the same track numbers (a factor based heavily on driver skill and weather/track conditions as well of course)) as the more 'local' cars but considering that the 6 or 7 Cartek stock bottom end NA Stage II heads and cam cars (C5s and F-bodys) that have already run 10s, some at 126+/127+ mph, (as well as the numerous other low 11 second ones) come from places like MD, CT, NY and not just NJ (although yes, most were installed/tuned in house) I guess it is possible.
As was already mentioned, logistically speaking MOST shops will probably find their packages performing best when installed, tuned and raced nearby their own facility.