LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   +7000rpm guys, in here please.... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/107372-7000rpm-guys-here-please.html)

SScam68 10-18-2003 11:34 AM

Re: +7000rpm guys, in here please....

...So if any of you are running an ls1 or ls6 intake, I have to ask: Why are you trying to shift over 7000? What have you been smoking?

I've been smoking lots of things.

Where would you shift that motor? Doesn't fall off until well past 7k. That's with an LS6 intake. Can't wait until the FAST (with 90mm TB) comes out.

And that's the old dyno graph. New heads, bigger cam will be on the car early next month. :)

-Andrew

notice how the curve plateaus? and look at what RPM. :D Judging from the graph the engine is choked for flow. Its not dropping off but your not making any more either.

Bink 10-18-2003 01:28 PM

The above does not apply to those running boost or shorter length runners. Obviously. Chill, pacerx.

Doesn't seem to apply to NA motors either. The guys running the the "World Challenge" series are stock cubes, stock TB and LS6 intake. Forged innareds mostly. Anyway, they spin them to 7500. They aren't stetching them for fun.
joel

black_knight 10-18-2003 04:09 PM

[/quote]

notice how the curve plateaus? and look at what RPM. :D Judging from the graph the engine is choked for flow. Its not dropping off but your not making any more either.

[/quote]

Exactly what I'm saying. Listen, it's an established fact that runner length dictates and, in this case, limits ideal RPMs. For NA applications this should mean that in order to actually make power (and not have it flatline) at high RPMs, one would need differant intake runners.

I mean, go ahead and prove me wrong if you can... I'm personally curious as to why ppl are out there running ls1s and ls6s with cams designed for WAY more RPMs than the intake...

black_knight 10-18-2003 04:19 PM

Doesn't seem to apply to NA motors either. The guys running the the "World Challenge" series are stock cubes, stock TB and LS6 intake. Forged innareds mostly. Anyway, they spin them to 7500. They aren't stetching them for fun.
joel

There's a BIG differance between rules-limited applications and street applications. They do that because it's their only option. For street applications, there are better ways to make power. Just check out that dyno graph that was used as "evidence" against me... it more than proves my point.

lsx24 10-18-2003 04:39 PM

I think the reason they spin them to 7500 rpm on the track is they have cams designed to crutch the intake, thus utilizing more RPMS. This type of huge duration cam may not work well on the street and that's why most likely street and track applications are different. I mean, on the track they prob never see below 4k rpm, and I would bet those cams need 1500-2000 rpm just to prevent stalling. Just an educated guess.

PacerX 10-18-2003 05:05 PM

First, and back to the point...

I'm not using an LS6/LS1 intake. I'm using a ported Weiand.

That being the case, I think I'm gong to be able to maintain torque longer than an LS6, and I have the option of shortening the runner should I choose to.

SO...

Who's using what to spin up even higher than 7200?