Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Parts List

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/Cam Parts List

The parts for my heads and cam swap are finally coming together. I figured Id post up to take some advice and make sure Im not missing anything. The car and mods are in my sig. So without further delay, here it is:

Heads: Stage 2.5 TEA LS6 Heads - 2.055 Intake/1.6 Exhaust w/ 921 Springs, Milled .015
Cam: I was going to go with a 224/230 .609/.604 113+2 w/ XFI. I have not purchased it yet, but Im pretty sure that is what I am going with. A big point was a cam that I will not have to flycut with.
Oil Pump: Melling High flow Pump
Studs: ARP Studs
Lifters: New LS7 Lifters
Lifter Trays: New LS2 Trays
Timing Set: New LS2 HD Set
Oil Tube Pickup Girdle: From BRP Hotrods, cheap insurance for the O ring

Things I dont have yet:
Pushrods: Waiting to check what length I will need
Injectors: Not sure If I will need to upgrade to a bigger size/what size
Rockers: Not sure if I need to upgrade these either
Head Gaskets: I was going to go with the standard thickness GM MLS gasket. Is the cometic a significant upgrade on it?
Other Gaskets: Is there anywhere that sells a complete set with water pump, timing cover, and front seal gasket?

Input/suggestions/etc is all welcome. Just trying to get everything I need for my first swap ahead of time so it goes as smooth as possible. Thanks a lot
Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas speed sells gasket sets. If your going arp head studs and MLS gaskets, you'll only need the cam gasket set (water pump, timing cover seal & gasket, crank pully bolt) The only benefit to cometics would be a thiner gasket to bump compresion. So if your worried about PTV clearance the MLS gaskets are the way to go. Some tricks I've learned along the way, when you pull the water pump off take a shop vac and suck out as much coolant as possible this will help the mess when you lift the heads. Make sure you blow out all the head bolts holes with compressed air before you install the studs. Finally bake the crank pully in the oven at 225 deg for 20-30 mins before you install it, this will swell the pully to slip on the crank easier.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. So there isnt really any benefit of using the cometic MLS gasket over the GM MLS gasket of the same thickness?

Any other comments/suggestions/etc are welcome.

Search this Thread