Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure after cam/oil pump install. help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default low oil pressure after cam/oil pump install. help please!

I just got done putting the cam, springs, ls6 ported oil pump, and rollmaster double roller timing chain on a 98 ls1. And after firing it up it took about 10 sec to get oil pressure, but the oil pressure will go down to 10psi at a low idle!!! when I rev it up to 2500 it stays at 40psi and nothing more. So I went for a little drive and noticed when I jamb on the brakes the oil pressure goes up. So when the oil goes up to the front of the pump it raises the pressure.
Could this be the o-ring on the pickup tube?? I was sure to line it up right. I lined it up and bolted it down without pinching the o-ring then mounted the pump making sure the spacer was on the right way.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Frank
Old 11-09-2003, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Off the top of my head, it makes it sound like the seals (i.e. O-Rings) may have been damaged and are not allowing proper pressure to be transferred. Just as you said. I suppose, that said, that you can never be too careful. It's the only thing I can imagine from the given facts; but i'm no expert. Wait for JRP or Colonel or someone to chime in...

Mike
Old 11-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SeeinRed
Off the top of my head, it makes it sound like the seals (i.e. O-Rings) may have been damaged and are not allowing proper pressure to be transferred. Just as you said. I suppose, that said, that you can never be too careful. It's the only thing I can imagine from the given facts; but i'm no expert. Wait for JRP or Colonel or someone to chime in...

Mike
Well, the delay is normal as the pump often has to get it's prime. This is why knowing you had a quality oil cycling before the swap is important (it's film will still provide protection). The low pressure is probably the O-ring, I have no experience with this, but I recall reading a post identical to yours and the knowledgeable response being "check the O-ring"
Old 11-09-2003, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

when i did my cam swap as well as oil pump and double roller timing chain i didnt get oil pressure at all. I was sure i put the o-ring back on without pinching it. When i took everything back apart the problem was ............. the o-ring. I put the old one back on and was very loose wich was the problem. put a new one on put everything back together and............ everything was A ok!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its the o-ring. I had the same problem with my car when I did one of my cam installs. Even the smallest tear in the o-ring will probably cause it to eventually fail - I found mine in pieces in the oil filter. Fix it imediately, the o-rings are cheap and most dealers I have found keep them in stock.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Had the same problem after a cam install at work, and it was the o-ring.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like the others said; low oil pressure almost always equals something wrong with the o-ring.

i installed the same stuff you did and was very carefull about the o-ring not pintching. after the initial priming and few seconds my oil pressure was 45-50 at idle.

when you saw that you had no oil pressure or it was very low you shouldnt of ran it around the block. its easier and cheaper to replace and o-ring then it is burnt piston rings.

if you were closer i'd give you one of my o-rings since i bought a pac of 5. get that fix right away and good luck man.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys. I just pulled it back apart and found that the o-ring was seated perfect. I pulled it out and inspected it and it had no tears or chunks missing. . So I put my factory oil pump back in. I haven't started putting it back together yet. Should I pull the pump back out and replace the o-ring anyway or try the old pump?? The new pump is ls6 ported from TSP. Is it abnormal to have a brand new pump bad??

Thanks
Frank
Old 11-09-2003, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Oh, and the o-ring wasn't really tight on the pickup tube. It wasn't loose but I didn't have to stretch it on. Is that normal?
Also could the tension on the pickup tube from the spacers on the oil pump be a problem?

Frank
Old 11-09-2003, 08:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Boosted One
Thanks for the replies guys. I just pulled it back apart and found that the o-ring was seated perfect. I pulled it out and inspected it and it had no tears or chunks missing. . So I put my factory oil pump back in. I haven't started putting it back together yet. Should I pull the pump back out and replace the o-ring anyway or try the old pump?? The new pump is ls6 ported from TSP. Is it abnormal to have a brand new pump bad??

Thanks
Frank
if it were me i'd just keep the ls6 pump and install a new o-ring. when i installed my new o-ring i put it in the pump and secured it snug as oposed to putting it on the pick up tube.

i doubt the oil pump spacers are putting enough pressure on the pick up tube to affect it at all.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the oil pump spacers won't put enough stress on the O-ring to tear it up. Replace the old O-ring and slap a new one on there. When you put it on, make sure the O-ring is properly seated (only up to the little bump in the pickup tube, not past it), then mount the pick up tube onto the oil pump and tighten it down a little and then bolt on the oil pump to the block. That way, there's less of a chance to mess up the O-ring. I'd put the LS6 pump in there also, might as well while you're in there. And don't forget the oil pump spacers! (speaking from experience)
Old 11-10-2003, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

THanks a ton for all the help guys! I took the stock pump back out tonight and reinstalled the ls6 with the addition of a new o-ring. Fired it up and boom 60psi! Seems the old o-ring wasn't ripped or torn or anything but It had flatspots worn into it where it was seated against the pickup tube and the pump. All is good now. I'm lucky this motors in a nova and not a camaro or I would really be cussing!

Man this cam really lopes too sounds great and has major top end! TSP 231/237 598/595 on 112

Thanks again for the help
Frank
Old 11-10-2003, 10:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Boosted One
THanks a ton for all the help guys! I took the stock pump back out tonight and reinstalled the ls6 with the addition of a new o-ring. Fired it up and boom 60psi! Seems the old o-ring wasn't ripped or torn or anything but It had flatspots worn into it where it was seated against the pickup tube and the pump. All is good now. I'm lucky this motors in a nova and not a camaro or I would really be cussing!

Man this cam really lopes too sounds great and has major top end! TSP 231/237 598/595 on 112

Thanks again for the help
Frank
sweet , glad it worked out man. great cam choice too. i love lopey cames myself my cam card lsa is 110.5
Old 11-10-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

pinched o-ring or you forgot to put silicone between the spacer and the pump. Also, check and make sure you installed the spacer the right way. It may be upside down. I speak from experience. I have a rollmaster double roller.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am soo happy to hear that it was your o-ring. My car is apart and I'm about 15 minutes away from installing a new o-ring tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure after cam/oil pump install. help please!