Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? about rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ?? about rockers

ok what i was wondering is when you read the spechs of a cam the spechs are derived or ment to be with a stock rocker ratio of 1.6 correct.

what i was wondering is what would the spechs of a 226/226-.591/.591-112
be with a 1.7 rocker.

i am asking because i am currious. i am running that cam in my truck and breaking springs like mad. I KNOW that the cam is too big and it will be changed when money allows. i have been told NOW to not run anything over .550-.560 lift on the street for a daily driver. I dont think that the person (no names) thought about running the 1.7 rockers with this cam. It realy angers me that a reputable person knowing the whole settup and all would sell me this and know it is a street daily application in a heavy *** truck. And now since like 3 people told meit seems that it is simple common knowledge that you should not run over .560 on the street. i Just dont know what he was thinking

SORRY kinda venting but could someone please tell me if i am thinking correctly.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Stock rocker ratio 1.7 lsi. Do you have a lt1
Old 11-09-2003, 08:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the stock rockers on the y and fbody cars are 1.7. i dont know how different the truck ls1 engines if any. what springs are you running and how is the rest of your valve train.

if the truck rockers are 1.7 then your problem is most likely your not picking the right valvetrain components to go with that cam. with .591 lift i'd go with a dual spring. a single spring good to .600 is pushing it. the new comps or cranes are good for .650 and there dual springs. go with tit. retainers and hardened pushrods too.

my question is why you would want such a mid range-top end cam in a big *** truck like you have ?

you can run over .550-.560 lift easy on the street, see my specs. its all about picking the right valvetrain components though. its ideal to run under .580 on the street because it easier on springs but there are people with the g5x2 who run it in a daily and there fine (232/240 .595/.609 112lsa)
Old 11-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=sleepersilverado]ok what i was wondering is when you read the spechs of a cam the spechs are derived or ment to be with a stock rocker ratio of 1.6 correct.

what i was wondering is what would the spechs of a 226/226-.591/.591-112
be with a 1.7 rocker.

I was told that to figure the difference you would take the lift of the cam divide by the ratio of the original rockers and then multiply by the ratio of the new rockers.

So if that way is right and if the original rockers are in fact 1.6 running 1.7 with that cam would give about .627/.627 lift.
Doug
Old 11-09-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok that makes me feel a little better. i dont know were i got the idea thet the rockers were 1.6. the truck and car stuff is the same except some little stuff mainly dealing with accesories and oil pan. i am still a little mad that i got this cam though. the truck is put together for forced induction. i repeatedly asked if a split duration would be better but never realy got an answer. any ways i dont know much about cam spechs.

i am going to get a custom ground cam probably ground for a turbo like but like i said when the money allows.

as far as the valve train: stock lifters, comp hardened pushrods, jessel shaft mounted rockers, and rev dual springs
i have changed the outers to lunatie springs while i was in a hurry trying to get it running. so i have broke two lunati and one rev. All the inner springs have been good and probably saved the motor.

thanks for all your help i just wanted to make sure that i was not running like .6something lift by accident.

Thanks again
Ryan
Old 11-09-2003, 11:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
ok that makes me feel a little better. i dont know were i got the idea thet the rockers were 1.6. the truck and car stuff is the same except some little stuff mainly dealing with accesories and oil pan. i am still a little mad that i got this cam though. the truck is put together for forced induction. i repeatedly asked if a split duration would be better but never realy got an answer. any ways i dont know much about cam spechs.

i am going to get a custom ground cam probably ground for a turbo like but like i said when the money allows.

as far as the valve train: stock lifters, comp hardened pushrods, jessel shaft mounted rockers, and rev dual springs
i have changed the outers to lunatie springs while i was in a hurry trying to get it running. so i have broke two lunati and one rev. All the inner springs have been good and probably saved the motor.

thanks for all your help i just wanted to make sure that i was not running like .6something lift by accident.

Thanks again
Ryan
damm, 2 lunatis and 1 rev. did you install the springs incorectly or something . and that cam you have is certainly not the ideal for FI, for that you'll want a split duration with the emphasis on exhaust and you'll want a high lsa 116+ so you dont bleed off the boost.

remember, when in doubt ask questions, and if you dont get an answere then keep asking. better to do things right the first time, then having to keep openning your wallet until you do get it right. knowledge is the best mod and its free
Old 11-09-2003, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe the springs were setup correctly. cause craige at gtp did the heads and knew the cam spechs.

i agree about the knowledge thing. i do a lot of research tryinh to learn new things. still dont understand cams though. but i can assure you this time i will ask many people and get the correct cam this time.

Ryan
Old 11-10-2003, 12:05 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
i believe the springs were setup correctly. cause craige at gtp did the heads and knew the cam spechs.

i agree about the knowledge thing. i do a lot of research tryinh to learn new things. still dont understand cams though. but i can assure you this time i will ask many people and get the correct cam this time.

Ryan
what kinda setup are you going for with you truck? my friend has 2k1 silverado with some bolt ons and a blower. i dont know much about the specifics of his setup though.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

to tell you the truth it changes daily. was going to pro charge it but everyone is having issues. then was looking at making a custom twin screw setup.

i have always wanted a turbo and now i am back to that. supposidly there are suppost to be a kit or two comming out by the end of winter. not real sure just seen some small remarkes.