Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who heard my Stealth II idle at the Thunder Shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Who heard my Stealth II idle at the Thunder Shootout?

Tell the others what you heard for those who may doubt what I've been saying about this engine's idle.

Remember, with the AC on I had the idle programmed at 675. With it off it was 550.

I keep reading about Stealth II setups that don't idle like stock and I really don't understand it. I have to idle mine down to 550 with the cuttout open to get enough lope to notice. Cuttout open with the idle at 675?...ZERO lope.

BTW, my idle tuning is completely stock. Stock timing, stock VE, stock IAIG, stock, stock, stock, etc...

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't doubt you Colonel. It's just that there are those that DO lope which negates the "stealth" title of the cam. Jayson even acknowledged that it does lope depending on the car.

If you can run the cam and not have lope, sweet. If not, you get a slight lope but a lope none-the-less.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:48 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LMAO....Man, if you guys think that cam lopes then I dunno WTF my problem is. My 229/233 cam sounds stock to me.

Josh
Old 11-10-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard it.

My friend Travis heard it. He kept talking about it. It was AMAZING. Cutout closed, A/C on, that thing sounded like a stock car with a catback. That was it. No lope. Even A/C off, lope was almost unperceptable. It would have been a maybe/maybe not.

Open the cutout, you could hear a little lope. Didn't seem like 420 RWHP worth of lope tho. Truly a sleeper combo.

I started up my car for my wife this morning. It's the complete opposite. Oh, to have a picture of her face when she heard it. "Oh my God! Is it always going to sound like that?". It lopes and cadences *hard*.

-Andrew
Old 11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

"It's just that there are those that DO lope which negates the "stealth" title of the cam."

That's just it...I don't understand WHY other's have lope at 850 RPM and I have absolutely ZERO even at 675 with the cuttout open. I WANT to understand why there is a difference so that I can help other's to achieve the results that I have. There is a logical reason(s) why this cam idles like stock in one engine and not in another. I think we should endevor to find out what this reason(s) is.

I disagree that the title of the cam is wrong. I think there are other issues causing the lope (obviously this is the case since I have no lope and I'm using the very same cam.) You can make the stock cam have lope if the tuning is bad enough.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think we all need to have a universal definition of stealth regarding this cam.

Is it:
Stealth: indistinguishable from a stock LS1 camshaft
or...
Stealth: slightly more lope than a stock LS1 camshaft and very mild when compared to 224/112s, etc.

Most people assume that stealth equates to the former not the latter.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Andrew. :thumbs:

"Even A/C off, lope was almost unperceptable. It would have been a maybe/maybe not."

"Open the cutout, you could hear a little lope. Didn't seem like 420 RWHP worth of lope tho. Truly a sleeper combo."

Right, and again I'll remind everyone that this was with the idle at 550 RPM. I lowered this much because I was actually TRYING to make it lope. It's almost impossible to do!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Stealth: indistinguishable from a stock LS1 camshaft"

This is the one that applies when the idle is above ~650 with the cuttout open or above ~600 with the cuttout closed. As Andrew said, this car sounds EXACTLY like a stock LS1 with headers and no cats.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe the grinder is not putting them out w/in the same tolerances?

My brother's idle tuning is stock, just as yours is, there is lope through the Magnaflow catback and through the cutout. We installed it straight up, etc. We've done about 15 LS1 cam installs now so it ain't the mechanical install in this case.

If they're all being installed dot-to-dot, with stock idle tunes then either you have a different spec, just a hair different, or the grinder is not pumping out congruent cams of SSII.

What other ideas to others have?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Stealth: indistinguishable from a stock LS1 camshaft"

This is the one that applies when the idle is above ~650 with the cuttout open or above ~600 with the cuttout closed. As Andrew said, this car sounds EXACTLY like a stock LS1 with headers and no cats.
Well, now that's settled, we can now pursue this further
Old 11-10-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know that compression ratio can have something to do with it. The higher the C/R, the smoother the idle. My C/R is 11.1:1.

I wonder if higher flowing heads might have something to do with it. These are MTI Stage II LS6 R heads.

Hmmm....
Old 11-10-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Right, and again I'll remind everyone that this was with the idle at 550 RPM. I lowered this much because I was actually TRYING to make it lope. It's almost impossible to do!
We tried to increase the idle RPM on my brothers and the lope remained. We did try that to see if it'd go away.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know that compression ratio can have something to do with it. The higher the C/R, the smoother the idle. My C/R is 11.1:1.

I wonder if higher flowing heads might have something to do with it. These are Stage II LS6 MTI heads.

Hmmm....
It very well may. I wish all vendors submitted a cam sheet like TR does with their cams that way comparing the specs for precision could be done in seconds.

MTI didn't seem to know why some lope and some didn't. Weird.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

That car has NO lope. Even with the cutout open at low rpm it sounded like a stock LS1. Colonel made sure to show everyone around how it sounded, including Mr. Officer

Your car does make quite a bit of valvetrain noise though, might want to check that out.

Tony
Old 11-10-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who else has this cam and doesn't lope, either?

My brother is taking the SSII out for the G5X-2. I guess he figured since it did lope, might as well get one of the biggest "lopers" (is that a word?) out there . When we pull it out, we'll get pics of the engraved Stealth II status on the cam itself.

Let's see if we can get others with the SSII to post their experiences. So far, we have Colonel in stealth status (no lope) and my brother and one other car where the install was done by MTI that are non-stealth in status.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i have SS1 which in theory due to a lower lsa (115)should lope a little more but at 650rpm, no distinct lope, and I have LS1 stage II heads 10:1 CR. I slapped the stock muffler on just to see and it was as stock, with Hooker it was just louder but nothing I would call 'lope'
Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I do have some valvetrain noise. I notice it more now than when we first did the install. I've put about 4,000 miles on the engine since then. I wonder if I have some rockers going out? Might be time for some aftermarket 1.75s. Seems to run perfect though.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

"including Mr. Officer"

LOL! He didn't seem to be impressed for some reason. I was at a loss for words as to why this was so...in fact, I was quite cuffed about it!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

that was BAD ***!!!! if I had a street car I would put that cam in it in a second. talk about a sleeper!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

So-far:
SS1 = 1 Stealth Status
SS2 = 1 Stealth Status and 2 Non-Stealth Status

Keep the info coming, thanks guys.