Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to flycut pistons in an LS1 for free! (almost)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

You only need to cut as much as you safely need to clear. You could go back to stock rockers with that cam, and gain a little bit clearance wise. I like the gasket choice for quinch however. Lots of guys here, including myself have done this, and it’s really simple. Did you use clay to check for this? Seems odd that a 227/.600” camshaft would hit pistons, but stranger things have happened.
Thank you for responding!
I did use the clay method and my intake valve is squishing through and ever so slightly leaving a wear mark. Maybe there's something wrong with my PTV method? I'm using my old ls1 lifters with the components flipped around to make a solid lifter should I be doing this?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Delagalaga!
Thank you for responding!
I did use the clay method and my intake valve is squishing through and ever so slightly leaving a wear mark. Maybe there's something wrong with my PTV method? I'm using my old ls1 lifters with the components flipped around to make a solid lifter should I be doing this?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ve-method.html
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Thanks 98 seeing how much advance was ground into your cam it's making me think my dumb *** couldn't put two dots together I suppose it was a bad idea to install the new balancer this early on.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

you need more than "just enough to clear." i forget what the recommended PTV for the intake and exhaust valves, but i think it's around .080-.100. if it barely clears turning by hand, doesn't mean it will at 7000 rpm at operating temperature.

and duration matters way more than lift in terms of clearance. interference doesn't happen anywhere near max lift. rockers only slightly affect duration, so their effect on PTV will be minimal. if you want more PTV without flycutting, you need a different cam or heads with more valve drop.

Quick Reply: How to flycut pistons in an LS1 for free! (almost)