Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on keeping keyway in place while installing crankshaft gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips on keeping keyway in place while installing crankshaft gear

I have an aftermarket engine and crank. It has 2 keyways in the front. I'm trying to swap from a double roller back to a stock single roller. I removed the crankshaft gear just fine. But every time I go to install the new crankshaft timing gear the damn keyways slide just a bit and end up jamming the gear in place.

I've tried heating the gear and all that but this is not really the issue. The gear goes on fine. The problem is those damn keyways getting knocked out of place preventing the crankshaft gear from moving up any farther or even back out.

The keyways are so tiny and I think the oil I put on the crank to get the gear to slide on easier got into the keyway hole.

Arrg, thinking about trying superglue to try and hold it. But I can foresee the glue breaking free when the gear is being tapped on. Then I'll be in the same boat, keyway jamming the gear from sliding on.

Edit: I've used a wrench to hold the rear keyway closest to the engine in place but at some point there is no more room and I have to remove the wrench to get the sprocket on any farther. Only to be disappointed as the keyway moves back slightly and keeps the sprocket about 1/4" from being in place.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Responded on your other thread. What are there two, is the outer one for the harmonic damper? Will it install OK with just the inner one in place? If you need the outer, you don't really need the overhang at the rear of the key so you "may" be able to install it once the sprocket is in place.

Quick Reply: Tips on keeping keyway in place while installing crankshaft gear