Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do you need a vac pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default At what point do you need a vac pump?

I have a pretty wild carbed 383 ls1 and it has a small breather in one valve cover and a large one in the other plus a -08 vent hose coming off the valley cover to a catch can.
Now it catches about 3-4 oz in about 5-7 runs and the large breather has to be wrapped with a wrist band cause it will spit it every were.

Do I need a vacume pump?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a race car....why bother.

If its street car too, it would be a good idea to evacuate the bad gases from the crankcase that build up over time. But then again...if you change your oil frequently, like every 3,000 miles....its not really necessary.

Kind of one of those things thats argued about all the time...whether or not you're gonna hurt your internals over time.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

It is pretty much a race car. And I change the oil very often.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Just a race car....why bother.

If its street car too, it would be a good idea to evacuate the bad gases from the crankcase that build up over time. But then again...if you change your oil frequently, like every 3,000 miles....its not really necessary.

Kind of one of those things thats argued about all the time...whether or not you're gonna hurt your internals over time.

We're talking about a way higher than stock compression motor here, regardless if it sees the street or not. People use vacuum pumps b/c it sucks out the pressure that gets passed the rings into the crankcase and pushing out the oil.

OP, you really need some type of crankcase EVAC setup on your car. Even if you just plumbed fitting into the collector, and ran hose from the breather in the valve cover to it would be better than nothing. Thats what I do on the 850+HP 565 in my sig. If I had the extra money and space on the car, I would put a vacuum pump on it without a doubt.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Plumbing each valve cover to a collector is what I did with a few race hemi super stock engines (13 to 1) that made 750 + HP ... it is a old school method but it sure works good an it will be the least expensive to do ... no matter what way you choose you need to evacuate the pressure that builds up inside your engine to produce the most power.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

It depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it to seat rings you need it all the time. If you are just going to use it to evac the crankcase, just run it at the track because on the street it will suck way too much oil.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

My 383 was built for a vac pump, dyno without it, picked up 25hp with it.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JRracing
I have a pretty wild carbed 383 ls1 and it has a small breather in one valve cover and a large one in the other plus a -08 vent hose coming off the valley cover to a catch can.
Now it catches about 3-4 oz in about 5-7 runs and the large breather has to be wrapped with a wrist band cause it will spit it every were.

Do I need a vacume pump?
I wouldn't do it jermey. You aren't running the right piston ring package and wrist pin modification also. Save your money imo. Goodluck buddy.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

I would run one. Just be sure to run a vacuum regulator in the valve cover so there wont be any damage due to having too much vacuum pulling the oil out of the cylinder walls. but a vac pump will help out the hp

Quick Reply: At what point do you need a vac pump?