Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which roller rocker for 215 TFS heads??? Are there any that dont break!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking Which roller rocker for 215 TFS heads??? Are there any that dont break!!

What roller rockers are the best for the 215 TFS heads, I have seen threads on both Harland Sharps & ultralite non adjustable yella terra breaking…So is there another option out there? Or are most of these failures due to improper install. And on that note what is the proper procedure to install roller rockers on a head with a different valve degree…

Are the jesel’s worth the money?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
What roller rockers are the best for the 215 TFS heads, I have seen threads on both Harland Sharps & ultralite non adjustable yella terra breaking…So is there another option out there? Or are most of these failures due to improper install. And on that note what is the proper procedure to install roller rockers on a head with a different valve degree…

Are the jesel’s worth the money?
Crane or Y/T's is what I would use.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any part at any given time, stock, or aftermarket can fail. It does have a lot to do with what you said though. Incorrect setup will definately increase the chances of failure, and proper setup will decrease the chance of failure.

YT or HS, its a toss up. Both have had failures. I myself suffered a YT failure (went through Ron@Vengeance and the manufacturer took care of it for me) and I am positive that it happened at startup the following day after parking her in the garage following about 100 miles of easy cruising. I say this because when I parked the car it sounded perfect, and the next day it sounded strange upon initial startup. I was really worried when the different engine sound didn't improve after the engine had warmed up.

What kind of temperature ranges do you see? I ask because I am speculating the cold weather I had may have had some influence on the rocker failing. Always let your motor warm up too before you start revving the motor.

I have heard Jesels are unbreakable, but is anything really unbreakable. They also don't clear your valve covers. Custom / Aftermarket Valve covers are required to run them I believe. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

You name the brand, you'll find somebody that's seen one break. It's the nature of the business. Personally I've seen Jesel's break (440cui LSx Motor with ETP Canted Valve Heads), I've seen stock rockers break (numerous applications), I've seen Harland's break (only twice, needle bearing failures, although I see a lot of them come through with no problems), I've seen Yella Terra's break (once, I don't see many come through though), I've seen Crane's break. The Crane installation procedure is very time intensive, read their instructions before purchasing. Take your pick.

As far as clearence, Trick Flow sells a valve cover spacer that works with the stock vavle covers.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
You name the brand, you'll find somebody that's seen one break. It's the nature of the business. Personally I've seen Jesel's break (440cui LSx Motor with ETP Canted Valve Heads), I've seen stock rockers break (numerous applications), I've seen Harland's break (only twice, needle bearing failures, although I see a lot of them come through with no problems), I've seen Yella Terra's break (once, I don't see many come through though), I've seen Crane's break. The Crane installation procedure is very time intensive, read their instructions before purchasing. Take your pick.

As far as clearence, Trick Flow sells a valve cover spacer that works with the stock vavle covers.
Mike what heads do you have on your car again… Are they the stg 2 TEA ls6 heads, also what did you put down again you can pm if you like, rob has told me about the car some, I know it is a beast…
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Mike what heads do you have on your car again… Are they the stg 2 TEA ls6 heads, also what did you put down again you can pm if you like, rob has told me about the car some, I know it is a beast…
Chris,

I have the TEA Stage II LS6 heads, milled to 59cc, 11.8:1 CR, -4cc relieved coated pistons, stock rockers, my own cam profile, FAST 92mm, 42lb/hr injectors, electric water pump, C5ZO6 MAF, FTP Lid, H-beam rods, underdrive pulley, Racetronix fuel pump, Kooks 1 7/8" off road to Corsa, RPM T56, LS7 Clutch. Did 465rwhp at 7200rpm and 405rwtq at 6100rpm with 92kpa at 6700rpm. Injector duty cycle is 78% with AFR at 13:1, timing on the dyno was 31 degress, I retarded it 2 degrees for the summer, and lost 5rwhp and 5rwtq.

PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

I am getting ready for my TEA's to go on my beast. hoping for low tens maybe nine's with weight pulled out of the car.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock rockers work just fine with the proper hardware. $400 YT's not required.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
Stock rockers work just fine with the proper hardware. $400 YT's not required.
can you give me the proper directions/steps on how to setup the stock rockers, i know it might be a pain to write out but i would really appreciate it...

i have a set of YT coming with the heads but one is broken...dunno what path i want to choose for my motor...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

can you give me the proper directions/steps on how to setup the stock rockers, i know it might be a pain to write out but i would really appreciate it...

i have a set of YT coming with the heads but one is broken...dunno what path i want to choose for my motor...
It's albout spring instaled height and valve geometry
Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Call Shane @ Thunder Racing. He's got one thing you'll need to set up stock rockers on TFS heads.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that you couldn't use stock rockers on the TFS heads? What is this one thing?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I have heard Jesels are unbreakable, but is anything really unbreakable. They also don't clear your valve covers. Custom / Aftermarket Valve covers are required to run them I believe. Good luck.
Nothing is unbreakable, but i'd rather go with a steel rocker arm if given the choice. Crower and Jesel do make steel rockers, not exactly for LS1.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comp Pro Magnum Rockers are steel also, but not very many people use them
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unertl42
Comp Pro Magnum Rockers are steel also, but not very many people use them
yeah i got a thread on hardcore too and someone posted a friend broke two comp rockers too, and the rest were cracking by the pushrod...not sure if they were the pro magnums though...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
I am getting ready for my TEA's to go on my beast. hoping for low tens maybe nine's with weight pulled out of the car.
on the juice, not NA...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
FormerVendor

Stock... Just like Damian said. I can get you everything you need including pushrods for less than the cost of roller rockers. I've never had a stock rocker fail (other than needle bearings, but the trunion upgrade in my kit takes care of that...)

Thanks,
Shane
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Stock rockers modified with better trunions and bearings is a good way to go too.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Stock... Just like Damian said. I can get you everything you need including pushrods for less than the cost of roller rockers. I've never had a stock rocker fail (other than needle bearings, but the trunion upgrade in my kit takes care of that...)

Thanks,
Shane
are these on street cars or track only cars?

thanks for the pm i am looking to go this route...just curious on reason for the larger pushrod diameter, just added strength and reduce flexing...it will fit the head holes without machining correct?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS

Thanks,
Shane

I am interested in this too. The problem with stock rockers is the geometry causes premature valve guide wear... so this fixes premature VG wear....????

Quick Reply: Which roller rocker for 215 TFS heads??? Are there any that dont break!!