Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQx or rebuild the LS1? (will the LQ work with my H/C setup?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQx or rebuild the LS1? (will the LQ work with my H/C setup?)

So I finished the LS1 swap in my 240sx and its a beast but my oil pressure sucks ***** (high teens idle and 20-30's under load up to about 4k rpm) This is with a 10w-40 dino oil and a shimmed LS6/2? pump

Its my fault for not pulling the bottom end apart and mic'ing it.

So I am at a cross road, do I rebuild the LS1 (cyl were in great shape when I built it) Or do I buy an LQ4 or LQ9?

If I buy an LQx will my head Cam package work w/o PTV issues? 243's and a MS4 stock rockers/pushrod length.

Obviously if I went LQ I would go through the motor, before install.

What parts can I reuse? Since I only have maybe a 1000 miles on this build I dont want to have to get a new oil pump/pushrods/lifters/springs again.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Everything should swap over, but I couldn't tell you about the PTV or pushrod length, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own and could be different depending on the shortblock and heads. I don't know what accessories you're using either, but you may need to drill on the front driver side of the block for a bracket.

I'd be concerned about what you did to cause the low oil pressure, so you don't do it again. Usually when it's low, it's a leak somewhere internally. Could be a pinched o-ring, or the pickup is too close to the pan.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Everything should swap over, but I couldn't tell you about the PTV or pushrod length, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own and could be different depending on the shortblock and heads. I don't know what accessories you're using either, but you may need to drill on the front driver side of the block for a bracket.

I'd be concerned about what you did to cause the low oil pressure, so you don't do it again. Usually when it's low, it's a leak somewhere internally. Could be a pinched o-ring, or the pickup is too close to the pan.
I triple check the o ring and when its cold its in the 40's at idle and 60's on load.

Car runs about 190-200*

there is almost 1/4" clearance on the pan (GTO pan/pickup)

When I went to 10-40 from 5-30 it picked up ~15PSi across the board and I am using an aftermarket sensor so it rules out the stocker.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The o-ring and pickup clearance always seem to be the most common and are usually a good place to start, however it could be bearing clearances or even the oil pump. The only way to know for sure is taking it all apart, there are a million things that could cause low oil pressure.