Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can be left off the motor for first start-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What can be left off the motor for first start-up

I'm about to finish up my 5.3L top end rebuild. I had a collapsed lifter so I replaced them all with LS7 lifters. I also went ahead and replaced damn near every gasket and seal in the top end of the motor. I also put in an LS1 cam, springs, and LS2 timing set.

I was wondering what I can leave off the motor to just start it up and make sure it's working correctly. I was thinking I can leave off ALL of the accessories (will it run alright without an alternator?). I was also going to leave off the radiator and not bother putting in any coolant into the motor. I will only let the motor run for 10-15 seconds to make sure it runs w/o any strange noises and that there is oil pressure.

Yes, I do have confidence in my work (this is my 4th LS engine build). While I hope for the best I'm also planning for the worst

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should be fine for 10 seconds the only thing would be to worry about getting too hot but im sure it wont in that time period
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Green-Z8
it should be fine for 10 seconds the only thing would be to worry about getting too hot but im sure it wont in that time period
There is no way it would get hot enough in that amount of time. The only real thing he would need to worry about is oil pressure. Which clearly he is aware of already.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
There is no way it would get hot enough in that amount of time. The only real thing he would need to worry about is oil pressure. Which clearly he is aware of already.
agreeed
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what about the alternator? Will the motor run okay without it?

And what about the crank pulley? I don't think any oil will come out of the timing cover, but is the pulley crucial to keep the rotating assembly happy?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

ya... i would put the pulley on the keep the balancing act in place. like mentioned before you'll be fine with everything above and alternator isn't necessary since it's your battery that starts the car, as the alternator just powers everything else once it's running
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i have often wondered this too. Only thing i can think of is maybe it would hurt the water pump to run it with no coolant? Or have you left that off as well?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

all you should need is just the crank pulley on like stated above. and and a nice charged battery. after that i would only run for a couple mins. just enuff to make sure there is no noise coming from the top end.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MTBSully
i have often wondered this too. Only thing i can think of is maybe it would hurt the water pump to run it with no coolant? Or have you left that off as well?
I consider the water pump an accessory so that would be left off as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never start an engine without water in it....at least fill it with a hose or something.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I tried starting the truck w/o any accesories and it didn't run well at all. Also, I forgot about the transmission cooling lines going into the radiator. Since I left my radiator off, the engine bay and driveway got a nice hosing of tranny fluid. I put the alternator on and the truck ran very well.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask John Force if he would ever run an engine without water. Who needs water in 3 seconds? Strictly speaking you could leave the parasitic devices off and headers and rocker covers. The timing cover seal mates to the pulley hub not the crank snout so installing the pulley is a good idea even if your only going to fire it up for just enough time to build oil pressure and listen for unusual noises. What is this? Sounds like the Demolition Derby of Engine Building. Got to love it