Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap done... questions now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam swap done... questions now...

I just finished my cam swap, installed a Torquer 2. I changed the pump and timing chain, oil pressure is good (much to my relief), everything seems ok. However, this is my first cammed car, my first time doing any kind of work this 'intensive' and I wanted to make sure some small things I've got are normal.

My PCM has a tune by EFI Alchemy to get me to my tuning apointment on Friday, also car is an A4...

When I first got everything together and the PCM in, I went to start the car, radiator cap off, and begin topping off the coolant. I continued to add water or coolant, leaving the cap off. I was having some questions as I went along so I called someone I know and was told to let the car idle for like 30 minutes, let the t-stat open, continue adding water and coolant. I did that... I was concerned about the car getting hot though. I was advised by the individual to just keep an eye on it, and if the factory gauge approached 260 then to shut it down, let it cool off, and start again later. I did that. At one point, the highest the temperature reached was probably 245-250 going by the factory gauge. A light came on on the dash that said 'check gauges' and I immediately shut it down. It didn't get into the red, or the 260... but I guess I'm just worried it might have gotten too hot.

There's no steam or coolant going anywhere, there's no evidence of coolant on my oil dip stick, and aside from a hard cold start, surging, and some bucking, the car actually runs reasonably well considering it's virtually untuned.

Is there any possibility I might have let the car get too hot and caused some damage? It seems to drive fine now, but I just wanted to be sure since I'm about to make a 200 mile roadtrip to EFI Alchemy on Friday.

If I could have gotten it hot, how could I tell?

Once the car is cooled down and I go to start it up, it seems to warm up a lot faster than it did before the cam swap, but even while idling for probably 4-6 minutes in place the gauge doesn't go past the 210 mark...

Any cause for concern?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has it over heated since then? If it is driving normally and your not losing coolant your probably ok.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
FormerVendor

your fine... just make sure you have no leaks, and you have all you fluids topped off and everything ready for the dyno!

Sucks to get on the dyno and find something wrong, see it all the time!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
Has it over heated since then? If it is driving normally and your not losing coolant your probably ok.
Its driving as normal as can be expected with a 50% tuned cam.

Also there's a light amount of grey/white smoke coming from the tips at idle. Again, it's very light, but I can see it. My buddy says it's just from all the new parts and the condensation that built up during the cam install... We took our time and had to wait on parts a couple times, took about 6 days.

I dont remember if it was smoking a little or not before the install...
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Here's a video of the 'smoking'. Just pay attention to the tips, you can see a little come out if you watch closely... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9Gc2sATYM
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you change your head gaskets when you did the cam swap? If not how many miles are on them? Just keep watching your radiator fluid and see if you lose any. Your probably fine though man.

The other thing it may be from is because itrs not fully tuned. Get it tuned so it doesnt stumble while idleing and then see if its still smoking.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
Did you change your head gaskets when you did the cam swap? If not how many miles are on them? Just keep watching your radiator fluid and see if you lose any. Your probably fine though man.

The other thing it may be from is because itrs not fully tuned. Get it tuned so it doesnt stumble while idleing and then see if its still smoking.
Yea the more I think about it, the more I think I'm alright. It seems like a lot of guys have pegged their temp gauge out at 260 before and still been ok. I probably hit 250 at the absolute most. I watched it move from 3/4 away and I immediately killed it. When I put the key in and clicked it over to check the temp it was at the 3/4 mark which makes me think it didnt get hot enough to do any damage.

In regards to head gaskets, no I didn't remove the heads. I'm going to drive the car about 100 miles around town tomorrow and do an oil change. It's my thinking that if there's a problem it will show its face during that time frame. I'm just sick of stressing over this car. I've been freaking out about every little thing during the install and it's time to just relax. If I popped a gasket then **** it, LS6 heads will go on.

Everyone feel free to continue posting feedback though...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what you mean man. Every little noise i hear in my car i always think the worst. Im sure your fine though.