Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to figure this out once and for all.... Car smokes, oil on plugs after cam

Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need to figure this out once and for all.... Car smokes, oil on plugs after cam

I've searched, searched, searched some more... picked my tuners brain, called some shops... everyone is telling me different directions to go, and is overall slightly confused. Here's what I got...

I installed a cam in my car, the Torquer 2. This LS1 is a brand new GM replacement, 25k on it. It never had one quirk to it before the cam install, not a single leak, not a drop of oil consumed, nothing. Didn't smoke or anything. Ran PERFECT.

Now imagine my frustration, after my cam install I have oil on my plugs and I have blue smoke coming from my exhaust. It's not an extreme amount of smoke, but it is noticeable and people have seen it besides me.

During my cam install I changed the normal stuff except valve seals. I went with the PAC 1518s, was told OEM valve seals would be fine, by TSP. Also told since it was such a low mileage motor that there probably wasn't a need for valve seals. Like I said, it didn't smoke, didn't see the reason to replace them. Just one more thing for me to screw up, right?

After the cam swap the car smokes pretty good for the last 60 miles or so of driving, there is oil on the plugs. I do NOT have a catch can, can this be the potential issue?

It's my understanding that it COULD be valve seals, however since I have oil on my plugs, that means it should be coming from the intake, not the valve seals. After looking in my throttle body.... I can see inside it and there is a shine to the inside of the intake. I'm sure it's oil, but it's not puddling or anything. I do see the back wall of it shining though.

Based on the info I've provided, can someone PLEASE give me some guidance. I'm replacing the PCV valve with a new GM part (dealer ordered it for me), but I'm wondering if I'm going the wrong direction and should get a catch can.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have oil on my # 7 cylinder plug from time to time. My car does smoke a little on hot starts occasionally as well. I replaced my valve seals when I did my cam install (my motor had 16k on it at the time) and the # 7 cylinder I am pretty certain I did not get the valve seal seated all the way on it. As you know there is not a lot of room to work back there. Anyway, I have been told my problem is a valve seal issue. I too have oil in my intake though so it could be combination of both. My post probably doesn't help you much but I am pretty sure my problem is a valve seal issue and it kind of sounds like yours is too.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Simply because you have oil on the plugs does not mean that it is from the intake. It could simply be from the rocker arm bolts or the valve seals leaking. I would honestly start simple.

I would switch the spark plugs and drive the car a little to see if the smoking continues. You may have just simply had residual oil in the intake runners from leaning the intake one way on removal, a spill, etc...

If the smoking continues I would step up and purchase a basic catch can setup. A proper PCV setup will really help identify issues if you are indeed seeing oil in the intake manifold. I would pull the TB real quick, shine a light in there, and / or wipe a rag around in there to see if it is really oil.

If you have eliminated oil entering the intake tract you know that it is then coming from the heads somewhere. I would guess either the rocker bolts or the valve seals. Sometimes the valve seals are difficult to get on there or are damaged in initial removal. GM actually has a J tool for installing valve seals.

1. Change plugs
2. Catch can / proper pcv setup
3. Valve seals / rocker bolt sealant

Good luck
Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake rocker arms bolts. Been there, done that.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Intake rocker arms bolts. Been there, done that.
What needs to be done to the bolts? Also, how is that allowing oil into the cylinder? My heads are stock 241s so they bolt hole shouldn't be exposed, right?

Last edited by Longshot LCMS; 04-14-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Subscribed. Same issues here. Just bought a catch can, but I want my oil consumption to go away, not be caught in the can!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

however since I have oil on my plugs, that means it should be coming from the intake, not the valve seals.
Not true. If the valve seals have moved or ripped then the oil from the top of the head will flow down the valve and onto the spark plug. I still feel that you have a valve seal issue. Regardless of a low mile car the seals can still go bad, dry up, ect.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

This is just a guess.....the stock cam only moved the valves so far...now the new cam moves the valves farther....maybe the part of the valve stem that has never bean<haha in contact with the valve seal before damages the valve seals. I know its a long shot but its all i can think of unless the the heads were ported and the intake rocker bolts are sucking oil.

Another thing to consider is valve guide clearance, with a higher lift cam it may be something you want to check. I would pull the valve covers and springs, check ALL the guides for wear and replace the valve seals. Its a good place to start. Good Luck
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
This is just a guess.....the stock cam only moved the valves so far...now the new cam moves the valves farther....maybe the part of the valve stem that has never bean<haha in contact with the valve seal before damages the valve seals. I know its a long shot but its all i can think of unless the the heads were ported and the intake rocker bolts are sucking oil.

Another thing to consider is valve guide clearance, with a higher lift cam it may be something you want to check. I would pull the valve covers and springs, check ALL the guides for wear and replace the valve seals. Its a good place to start. Good Luck
That's actually a reasonable theory... I think I'm going to be doing quite a bit of work to it tomorrow evening and friday trying to get it lined out. I've got new OEM valve seals, new OEM intake gaskets (looking for a potential air leak also), new PCV Valve all on the way, so hopefully one of those things will clear up the issues I'm having.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

I got another idea but you won't like it..........
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Rings? That's not it. No way every cylinders rings are suddenly toast on a motor with 25k that passed a compression test PERFECTLY a month ago.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

He didnt like it. Lol
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
What needs to be done to the bolts? Also, how is that allowing oil into the cylinder? My heads are stock 241s so they bolt hole shouldn't be exposed, right?
Not sure on stock heads. I would think the bolts still enter the intake runner. If they're not sealed every time the intake valve opens, it sucks oil from the top of the head.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ I'd have to check on a stock head. It isn't a bad idea though to put a sealant on them regardless to keep it from potentially being an issue.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ I'd have to check on a stock head. It isn't a bad idea though to put a sealant on them regardless to keep it from potentially being an issue.
I'm reasonably sure that they don't... but I guess it's possible. Anyone have a stock 241 head laying around they can look at real quick?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

If they are stock then its not a problem......do a leak down test.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Having the same problem after my cam swap. I didnt know I was supposed to put sealant on the rocker arm bolts, I just pulled the rockers and the bolts are soaked all the way to the tip, and I stuck a q-tip down the bolt whole and it was full of oil, took around 5 q-tips a hole to get them clean.

Also looking with a flashlight, I can look down the bolt hole and see into intake runner on the head, and it looks wet. But I have a 5.3 with 862 heads, no idea if this is the case on 241's.

Going back out to the garage to finish cleaning everything up, put some sealant on the bolts and put 'er back together.

Ill post back with my findings in a few days to see if im still chewing threw oil.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have original ls1 heads in my shop. The rocker arm bolt is NOT a through hole.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flip open the TB blade look with a flash light. If you have oil in the intake its the PCV system, catch can or get rid of the system. If you don't have oil in there, it could be the valve seels. Do you have the right push rods in there?

Search this Thread