Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i in the right place ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i in the right place ?

hi everyone, i have a 98 ws6 with 190,000 miles with no internal mods. what and where should I start first? my bro-in-law say bearings but you guys may know more. $ is an issue and was hoping to piece it together and take my time. please help out and chime in if you would. Thanks in advance. Roger in LA, CALI..
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Teching In

your talking about a rebuild right....? (or performance modifications?)
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pokerfreak07
your talking about a rebuild right....? (or performance modifications?)
Thanks for replying. Rebuild would be the word. Is it possible to go with better than stock parts that will not cost serious $. Any help in where I should start would really help. I know the trans and rear end is a for sure thing but internal I have know clue. Its an automatic. The first owned did a lot of highway plus he was a senior so he babied it. The leather is remarkable for its mileage/age.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

More info required, does the engine run? Does it run well? I am no expert, but I would probably start with the basics, I would even think about doing a timing chain and maybe an oil pump. I am sure people with a hell of a lot more experience will let you know more. These engines, if taken care of will last a pretty long time, 190,000 is a long time, if you don't plan on drag racing it and just using it for a daily driver I would probably start with the things I mentioned above. Your external accessories will probably start to go soon (if they haven't gone already) I would save up for those potential problems in the future. IF...If the engine is running right....Just my two cents.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
More info required, does the engine run? Does it run well? I am no expert, but I would probably start with the basics, I would even think about doing a timing chain and maybe an oil pump. I am sure people with a hell of a lot more experience will let you know more. These engines, if taken care of will last a pretty long time, 190,000 is a long time, if you don't plan on drag racing it and just using it for a daily driver I would probably start with the things I mentioned above. Your external accessories will probably start to go soon (if they haven't gone already) I would save up for those potential problems in the future. IF...If the engine is running right....Just my two cents.
Its running good. It is my daily driver. I have just recently sold my 08 v-max silverado (chapter 7) and had to buy it back from my sister. LoL. But I did hear a ticking/rattle noise so I assumed it was the tensioners and I ordered 2 goodyear tensioners and the noise went away. So I think I caught that issue. Installed my self. I'm more of a grease monkey. I do all external but when it comes to the inside I don't know nothing. Just reading a Jegs catalog about the internals seems like alien talk to me. You guys are like doctors. I think what scares me about the internals are all the talk about degrees and clearances. I hate math. But getting back it runs good. Well oiled synthetic. Seafoamed , pcv , fuel filter and etc. Thanks and more info if you don't mind.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

I would definately go with a new dual roller timing chain and oil pump. its alot stronger! and your stock one is proally stretched like a bitch,its really easy to change one just takes a little time!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you check TSP for prices?also check the WS6 store for gasket kits.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FreebirdWS6
I would definately go with a new dual roller timing chain and oil pump. its alot stronger! and your stock one is proally stretched like a bitch,its really easy to change one just takes a little time!

WAAAAAY overkill. If you decide to do one a LS2 timing chain is plenty strong. At that mileage check the gear too. I only did a chain when my cam went in at 70K.

And yes just get a LS6 oil pump or consider a higher flowing Melling 10296 pump since at your mileage you may have a little bigger bearing clearances that could benefit from a little more flow.

Personally though I would just drive it if all seems good. I have 200K on my 5.3 truck and it runs like the day I bought it 8 years ago......
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the info. I just received an estimate for the bottom end. Guy form Long Beach who builds race engines said $4000.00 for the entire crank and parts. Is the reasonable? Also was thinking before this that I would go with a slp oil pump and timing chain. Does that make sense? More info or opinions.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Teching In

*from
Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

4k for a longblock LS1 is crazy. You can get a complete running LS2 for that. Heck you can have a complete running LQ9 for 1/3 of that price.

Shop around first.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kawijames
4k for a longblock LS1 is crazy. You can get a complete running LS2 for that. Heck you can have a complete running LQ9 for 1/3 of that price.

Shop around first.
That's what a buddy told me too. Wow was gonna get raped. Hey but since I'm in CA , isn't it a law that says I have to use the same year and engine per the vehicle? Will an ls2 match/mate to my existing tranny,exhaust manifolds and what not? Let me know.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah you can buy a Killer stroker SB from HKE for less than that shipped and KNOW it is done right...... But I would run what ya got until it breaks unless you just want more power..... It might be good for another 75-100K miles.....Even with a freshened SB you still need to go through the topend...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Yeah you can buy a Killer stroker SB from HKE for less than that shipped and KNOW it is done right...... But I would run what ya got until it breaks unless you just want more power..... It might be good for another 75-100K miles.....Even with a freshened SB you still need to go through the topend...
What is a stroker? I heard that word in the movie Dale. I'm gonna look that info about hke up. Also is a short block from the cam down and a top end is the heads? So the bottom is a short block and a long block is everything but the intake? I know it sounds like stupid questions but I'll understand with regular practice.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FreebirdWS6
I wouldnt say its exactly easy to change, took me about 8 hours beginning to end to get everything buttoned up on last cam swap. Id recommend the LS2 chain as well.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats cause a double roller is a pita to begin with! LS2 chain or C5r is more than enough. I wouldnt run a double on a forged block spraying a 375 shot....oh wait. I didnt run a double roller on mine.