Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil up top after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question No oil up top after cam swap

Trying to figure out why I have no oil on the rockers after a cam swap.

5.3 in a truck that up until now has never had the valve covers off. 44k on the motor with ~36k miles procharged. Mobil 1 all its life. Has always had good pressure. 13 of the 16 factory pr/rocker interfaces were slightly galled, very slightly.

Bought a '04 ls6 cam, yellow springs, and pr's from a member. Practically new. Decided to buy Scorpion roller rockers to use with the new pr's. After finding out that the rockers contact the baffle in the valve covers, the real gremlin rears it's ugly head. No oil coming up on the rockers even though the gauge reads almost 40#'s at idle.

Was going to purchase a ported oil pump while everything was apart but spoke with two advertisers on the right and they told me it was not needed. Have not spoken with them since the motor has been back together.

The lifters were adjusted one by one and there is no noise that anything is out of adjustment.

Here are my next steps:

Check the oil pressure w/ a mech guage

check lifter preload

pull a PR to make sure they are not blocked (not likely all 16)

What else should be checked??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you know you are not getting oil up top? Honest Question.
do you have the covers off, looking thru the oil fill?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before getting halfway through your post I was leaning on the pump. Hmmm... Even then the o-ring wouldnt be the problem because you have 40PSI. I am kinda curious how you are checking to see how the oil isnt making it to the top end.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

valve covers off, coil packs tied up, engine running---no oil flowing out on the rockers????
Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How long did it run? Did you pre-fill pushrods? When I started mine, I pre-filled pushrods and used assembly lube on pushrods/rockers. It stilll took several minutes before a noticable oil flow was observed.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try on one side (if you are using the same rocker ratio) putting back your factory rocker arms and see if you get oil on that side, and make sure you can see thru the pushrods, make sure that the lifter is pumping up with oil. (oil goes thru the gally , thru the lifters thru the pushrods, to the rockers.) do that and report back.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Took three minuets (timed) to have the oil coming out the top. Guess we didn't wait long enough.

Those three minuets seemed like three hours!

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Calbo
Took three minuets (timed) to have the oil coming out the top. Guess we didn't wait long enough.

Those three minuets seemed like three hours!

Thanks

That's the trouble w/ the original LS1 blocks, restrictive rear oil passage. First time I used my spare block, nearly **** my pants due to the amount of time it took to get oil up top (have an 06 LS6 block & a 00 Ls1 spare block). The Ls6 block takes no time @ all to get oil up top & the spare LS1 takes a few minutes, as noted. IMO, the oiling time delay is why some people have excessive rocker & valve tip wear. They don't know to wait for the oil to get to the heads & then get on the power too soon.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

nice to know

Quick Reply: No oil up top after cam swap