Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 243s or 317s for My SSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 243s or 317s for My SSS

Hey guys Im looking into getting a set of heads for my 03 Silverado SS with the LQ9 but Im not sure which route I wannat go. I either wanna get another set 0f 317's or get a set of LS6 243's. Either way Im gonna get them PnP'd. Not sure which cam I will get for the setup yet but I know I want to get a TBSS intake. I do know I wanna good sounding loped cam just not sure on what specs I wnat yet. I plan on chromoly pushrods, LS7 lifters, ls2 timing chain,ls2 dampner and such for the install. I know the 243s will bump compression to 11:1 i believe. Can you guys give me some insight on which would be the better route to go and what you think would be the best vtrain parts to go with. Ive done searching and have an idea of what I want to do but wanted others opinonos. I do plan to SC way later on down the road but will be NA for a while. I also plan on beefing up the stock tranny or probably swapping to a 4l80 but either way Ill more than likely do a 3k stall. Any help at all would be helpful, thanx.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan to go FI, high compression heads and a good sounding lopey cam are probably the wrong direction to go for a truck. If that is your ultimate goal you might be better off figuring out what SC you want to run and how much boost. Start with your bolt-ons if you haven't already. From there, select a boost friendly cam to build your setup on and get the 317 heads P&P. When the funds allow, add the SC of your choice and complete the package with whatever tuning is required. All of that should work fine with a stock or relatively mild converter.

You could go ***** out on some 243's and a bigger cam, but those parts won't mix well with more than a minimal amount of boost later - why take the hit on those parts and buy them over again when you can build incrementally.

Lastly, the TBSS is an LS2, and that intake is not the best flowing stock intake out there. Truck intakes are really pretty decent as long as you aren't trying to spin too many rpms (and why would you normally in a truck). Keep in mind that car intakes are usually lower in profile and might require additional changes in the accessory drive to clear. In the process, you usually lose power on the low end, which is again the wrong direction for a truck.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Teching In

The Sc wouldnt come for way later on down the road. Im looking at getting a Raddix kit though so hopefully I can find one when the time comes. I do want to build it right the first time and not have to go back in and switch things around though when it comes to a cam I dont mind doing that. For now Ill probably get a good NA cam then get a boosted cam when the time comes. Ive already started on boltons and have those things ready for the next step as well as a basic tune and I will of course retune with the new engine mods. I do know buting a LS intake on a truck requires a good bit of modifcation and have seen pics and info on this. Im not looking to go that route. The TBSS intake is a botlon with use of its fuel rails and I do know that is a LS2 based platform. There are a couple othwe intakes for this truck out there but the TBSS is cheaper for me right now. Im just trying to decifer which heads would be better on my truck to pnp 243's or 317's. Liek I said I know they flow bout the same stock but the 243's will bump my compression up. I also need advice on valvetrain parts to use with th esetup. I have an idea of what I want but not sure.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock rockers, properly setup, will be better than a heavier & weaker aftermarket roller rocker. Upgrading the stock trunions to something more durable from Harland Sharp or Comp Cams is a good move. Use the recommended springs for your cam of choice and setup as directed by the manufacturer. Go with some good solid pushrods to avoid flex in this area, and you should be rewarded with excellent valve control.
Originally Posted by Firehawknwv
The Sc wouldnt come for way later on down the road. Im looking at getting a Raddix kit though so hopefully I can find one when the time comes. I do want to build it right the first time and not have to go back in and switch things around though when it comes to a cam I dont mind doing that. For now Ill probably get a good NA cam then get a boosted cam when the time comes. Ive already started on boltons and have those things ready for the next step as well as a basic tune and I will of course retune with the new engine mods. I do know buting a LS intake on a truck requires a good bit of modifcation and have seen pics and info on this. Im not looking to go that route. The TBSS intake is a botlon with use of its fuel rails and I do know that is a LS2 based platform. There are a couple othwe intakes for this truck out there but the TBSS is cheaper for me right now. Im just trying to decifer which heads would be better on my truck to pnp 243's or 317's. Liek I said I know they flow bout the same stock but the 243's will bump my compression up. I also need advice on valvetrain parts to use with th esetup. I have an idea of what I want but not sure.

Looks like you replace the intake when you put that SC on there, so just calling it like I see it...
Now: PP317 heads, cam your choice, leave the stock intake alone.
Later: Swap cams and drop on the SC in place of your stock truck manifold.

If you buy a set of PP243's, you'll have too much compression and need to swap heads later. If you go through all the effort to replace the truck manifold, you're going to lose more low end and still have to swap out the parts again later, as the SC kit is likely setup to drop onto a stock engine. It's your money and your vehicle to mod the way you wish - I'm only pointing the logisitics and the potential to spend money that you won't recoup in used parts.

Which ever direction you choose to go - best of luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the insite. Thanx! I believe I will def get a set of 317's and have them PP so I dont have to worry bout switching out again. Being smart about modding is better then getting a big head about things and adding stuff ull have to switch out later on.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Isn't the 317's going to drop the compression quite a bit? That's why FI guys use them. If you drop the compression I think it would be sluggish down low and you will lose some power especially if you go with a bigger cam. Your two head choices do not go together I don't think.

If you are really going to go FI I would wait and change the heads then. It just depends on how sure you are you will do it. Like me and some other people what we "plan" on doing never happens or takes twice as long as we hoped. There are a lot of other reasons but those are the only one I am going to list now.

Regardless of what you do best of luck on your build.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just P&P a set of 317's. Changing the heads for a blower setup will make it take 7 more hours than you were wanting. Allthough, you would not have a problem selling the 243's if you changed your mind about it.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Yea I agre on the what we "plan" to do thing. I had "planned" on adding a stall and heads to my v6 firebird which I had all the parts to do so then I got the truck and started moding it, lol.

Yea I think Im gonna go the 317's route. Im getting ready to pick up a LS2 timing set since its stronger than my stock one and a set of LS7 lifters. So having that and getting the heads done will start me out until I get all the parts I need.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Isn't the 317's going to drop the compression quite a bit? That's why FI guys use them. If you drop the compression I think it would be sluggish down low and you will lose some power especially if you go with a bigger cam. Your two head choices do not go together I don't think.
The OP is modding a 6.0L Silverado SS, which should already have 317 castings. Any drop in compression would be minimal due to porting in the chamber, and should be offset by a thinner head gasket like a .040" Cometic instead of .051 -.053 MLS.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Yes these trucks already have 317s stock. So When said and done I should get a set of those .040 gaskets instead of the stock .053 or whatever they are.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
The OP is modding a 6.0L Silverado SS, which should already have 317 castings. Any drop in compression would be minimal due to porting in the chamber, and should be offset by a thinner head gasket like a .040" Cometic instead of .051 -.053 MLS.
Thank you for pointing that out to me. I need to learn how to read.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Lol dohhhh!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Teching In

how long have you had the truck? I don't mean to but in but Ive had an 03 SSS for about two years and love the truck... my mods don't touch yours as far as performance goes, but obviously modding the motor leads to more stress on the trans/awd... which is the weak point on our trucks. its a 65e which may be slightly more durable over the A4 guys 60e on the site but I am no expert. The awd is suspect as well and the 03's are NOTORIOUS for having growl/humming issues due to bearing wear in the front diff.

Like I said not trying to rain on your parade, I like where your heads at and good luck with the build... just offering my .02
Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whoudi
how long have you had the truck? I don't mean to but in but Ive had an 03 SSS for about two years and love the truck... my mods don't touch yours as far as performance goes, but obviously modding the motor leads to more stress on the trans/awd... which is the weak point on our trucks. its a 65e which may be slightly more durable over the A4 guys 60e on the site but I am no expert. The awd is suspect as well and the 03's are NOTORIOUS for having growl/humming issues due to bearing wear in the front diff.

Like I said not trying to rain on your parade, I like where your heads at and good luck with the build... just offering my .02
Its cool man. Glad to see another SSS owner on here. You should try joining SilveradoSS.com cuz there is tones of info on there. Yes the 65e is the weak point on our trucks no matter in all years 03-06. You can put cervos and shift kits in to help which they do but still they tranny will fail at some point. The best route to go if your gonna make more than roughly 450 crank is bolt in a 80e from a Silverado 2500. There is a lot to change there which you can find on the SSS forum. The 80e can handle way more abuse and I will have to switch out later on. A buddy of mine locally has a black SS wiht a L92 top end setup and he had to put in a 80e now he can select AWD or RWD. When I do my swap Im keeping my AWD cuz nothing is a better friend than traction.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

ohhhh yeah the 80e upgrade should take care of any tranny issues. I'm on silveradoss.com as well and it does have a ton of info specifically for those trucks which obviously you have been reseaching. Good luck with the build man ill be checking for updates, we gotta represent for all the 3 tons of fun truck owners on ls1tech lol
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Teching In

LOL Yea thats right. No matter its still an LS platform cuz our engines our the iron twin of the LS2 for the most part. Right now Im picking up a set of LS7 lifters and a LS2 timing set with 300 miles on them for cheap. So getting that and the set of heads will get me started for my parts round up.

Do yo have the same ID over there?