Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Drain Question 241 vs 243 (DART)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Drain Question 241 vs 243 (DART)

First, I want to make sure the LS1 heads are 241s and LS6 heads are 243....?

Second, I used to have an LS6 in my 2001 Z06. I replaced it with a 408 and transferred the valley cover/pcv setup to the 408 and installed some ported 243s. Worked fine except the heads leaked coolant in the intake runner (thanks Lingenfelter).

So, I got some Dart LS1 225 heads and now my PCV system is sucking oil like nobody's business.

Is it possible the Dart heads were designed off the 241s which did not have to work with a valley cover and they are now draining oil right into the pcv pickup area?

I can't understand why I am going through 1 quart every 200 miles.

Compression test came back perfect.
Valve seals were checked and looked perfect.
Intake manifold is full of oil and so is the little pcv u-tube and valve.

I am getting frustrated trying to figure this out and am now down to design differences. If this could be the case, I will happily remove the valley plate and relocate my pcv pickup somewhere else.

Any advice?

Oh, PS, I had switched to a fixed orfice pcv valve right before I had the heads replaced, thought that might be the problem after checking the valve seal integrity so I switched back to a regular valve and it didn't help.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A few questions. First, are the Dart's out of the box new or are they used? Were they ever ported?

Not sure I understand the valley cover questions, but as an aside the 04 Vette came with the newer design valley cover (similar to LS6 but the PCV orifice is under the cover and there is no PCV valve) and 241 heads. I ran the Dart 205's for a couple of years and had no oil control issues at all with the original 2002 PCV system (multiple hoses and no connection to the valley cover).

How is your PCV system set up?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads were new out of the box and unported.

The PCV system is stock, and I have now switched to a breather in place of the oil cap to relieve any potential extra crankcase pressure that might be pushing it's way out the PCV (but if it was I assume it would come out the fresh air line also, which it hasn't). I removed the fresh air line and capped it after I put on the breather and capped at the TB as well. I tune for it in HPTuners so no unmetered air worries by me.

I have tried the stock U tube and am now trying a longer piece of fuel line in its place but I doubt it will do anything.