LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   problem with rpm guage??HELP ME!! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/128020-problem-rpm-guage-help-me.html)

KALEL 01-10-2004 07:58 PM

problem with rpm guage??HELP ME!!

well a few of my friends wanted to see how powerful my car was...so tonight i took them for a ride. i got on it a few times..and when i did i noticed that my car was hitting the rev limiter b4 6000 rpm...this hasnt happened in previous WOT runs. i also heard a knock from underneath...i think its my headers hitting the K member again...it did that when i first got them installed and hasnt since until yesterday when i rolled out of first gear. however i dont know if thats the problem with the rpm guage. anyone ever heard of this b4...the only mods i have are headers and a lid if that helps...need help please!! :bang:

Nasty N8 01-10-2004 08:09 PM

Most factory gauges are off some if it isn`t drastic +-500 I wouldn`t worry too much.

Nate

KALEL 01-10-2004 08:16 PM

well it was hitting when i was at about 5400 rpms...i read up on it and im pretty sure its due to the fact that the stock guage blows ass...i think a shift light would be a good thing to get..where is a good place to get one?

and b4 anyone says anything i AM going to shave my K member down some more because i am aware that the knocking is bad :bang:

Jimmy98Z 01-11-2004 12:08 AM

I got my shift light from JEGS it's the auto meter pro shift light they are like 69 bucks plus the pills are like $24 oh yeah and I love mine.
Jimmy

GueSS Who 01-11-2004 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Beast
well it was hitting when i was at about 5400 rpms...i read up on it and im pretty sure its due to the fact that the stock guage blows ass...i think a shift light would be a good thing to get..where is a good place to get one?

and b4 anyone says anything i AM going to shave my K member down some more because i am aware that the knocking is bad :bang:

Yes you are right. Stock gauges suck. It will be worse in 1st and 2nd gear because the gauge doesn't have time to catch up. Shift lights are the only way to go.

Mike98WS6 01-11-2004 04:48 PM

I use a shift light too. I could'nt stand the stock tach anymore.

WS6MB 01-11-2004 08:02 PM

I havent gotten a gauge or light yet i have just tried to learn how early to shift in each gear. Im sure i shift early but i dont want any extra stuff inside the car. I have noticed that in the cold when the motors revs quicker that you really have to be ready to shift.

Mike 01WS6 01-11-2004 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by WS6MB
I havent gotten a gauge or light yet i have just tried to learn how early to shift in each gear. Im sure i shift early but i dont want any extra stuff inside the car. I have noticed that in the cold when the motors revs quicker that you really have to be ready to shift.

You can hide the shift light inside a vent....no one will know it's there until it flashes.

WS6MB 01-11-2004 08:20 PM

I have seen that, i just havent taken the time to do it. Are you talking about the small vent on the left or the big center vents. I have seen the Harlan in the left vent.