Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil dip stick blow out, catch can related??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil dip stick blow out, catch can related??

Installed a new WBo2, but before going out and retuning I check some things over in the engine as it looked like I developed a small oil leak over time after having heads installed on my car. It ended up being the petcock or whatever it's called on the mike n catch can being totally loose. I guess through the year of driving it vibrated loose since it's attached to the engine. Anyway I took it out, unscrewed it to see what oil was on the inside and there wasn't much. I put everything back together and tighened up the hose ends going into the can cause they worked loose as well and went out for a tuning session.

did a good romp but down a hill in 3rd up to 6k, then further down the road I put it in 4th and let her loose till redline. Quickly let go of the gas then popped in neutral and hit the brakes hard as light was changing ahead but decided to go through. Was a little lean around 6.6-6.8krpm but then all a sudden a hugle ploom of smoke was behind me and I could smell the oil burning.

Pull to side of road and dip stick popped up and oil all over. Drove the car home and everything seemed to run fine and didn't hear anything.

thoughts?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

no clue... how much oil was put in on the last oil change? what kind of oil pressure are you seeing?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

U sure all the plumbing is correct ?

If so, you might have to put one of those small filters on your L valve cover so the engine cannot build up pressure inside.

What I did was put a filter on the L side, then line to Catch Can line on the R valve cover. Then line to PCV valve. No pressure build up or oil going into engine.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28
no clue... how much oil was put in on the last oil change? what kind of oil pressure are you seeing?
Normal amount of oil, though when I checked after the oil spray I'm a quart down now. Afraid to take the car out and get on it after this, scared the hell outta me! So not sure where the oil pressure is but when I was driving cautiously home the oil pressure seemed normal when cruising, stepping on the gas it would go up a bit just didn't pay attention to how far. Was more concerned with oil pressure going down.

the catch can has worked fine in the past though so all plumbing is good. Maybe the the nipple that goes into the filter is screwed on to hard? I dunno. I'm just hoping nothing is screwed up now.

Quick Reply: Oil dip stick blow out, catch can related??