Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Can I R&R the engine balancer w/o touching the front main seal or timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Can I R&R the engine balancer w/o touching the front main seal or timing cover?

I installed a 10% underdrive ATI superdamper on my TTA Z06 build that turned out to be an older unit with the 3 cap screws that stuck out and would hit the steering rack on hard deceleration. I removed the balancer unit and sent it back to ATI for the updated machining to accept countersunk bolts in the same manner that all current y-body balancers come.

I just received a call from ATI's tech/repair department stating that I need to remove the hub as well and send it to them to get the edge chamfered to accept the new hardware as well. They appologized for forgetting to tell me this from the get-go.

I have installed a new timing cover w/ a new front main and have it all torqued to spec w/ an ARP bolt and pinned etc. Can I remove the balancer hub to send to ATI w/o having to remove the tming cover or replace the front main? I do not want to put this thing all back together only to have a front main seal leak/issue because they're one-time use items.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Your seal should be fine. i took my balancer off 2 times and never replaced the seal.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you loosen the timing cover bolts when re-installing and re-torque once seating the pulley or just leave them be?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your seal should be good.. I like to put a light coat of oil on the seal, before install, so it does ride the hub dry. you wont have to touch the cover at all.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good.... I didn't use any oil installing the hub/balancer, but the motor hasn't been turned over at all. I'll pull it tonight and will lightly coat the OD of the hub when re-installing.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is some question on oiling the hub. It is not specified in the manual and I have read elsewhere they like the initial heat from running dry (don't shoot the messenger, only what I have read). As for removal/re-installation, since it hasn't been run you should be fine.