Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Headers... Are they worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone has said Shorty headers will give you approx. 10 rwhp gain. Then again the right atmospheric conditions can give you 10 hp. You just need to decide if the cost of purchase and installation. Frankly, people with more brains than money opt not to.

BTW, if your budget is limited, and your options come down to one or the other. You might look at installing a cold air intake or lid (one with a CARB EO #). You will see a better increase in rwhp over shorties. I installed a K&N FIPK and saw an increase of 26 rwhp (highest I've ever seen so yours might be less). You can buy it online and install it in your driveway yourself.

Now, if you want to be completely legit smog wise, you need to get a set of headers with a CARB EO number. Not all shorties have one. One brand, JBA, is right in San Diego, off Convoy at hwy 52.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Another thing to love about Hawaii, if you have enough good friend you can pass any inspection.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Will
Now, if you want to be completely legit smog wise, you need to get a set of headers with a CARB EO number. Not all shorties have one. One brand, JBA, is right in San Diego, off Convoy at hwy 52.
Yeah, I just pulled a set of JBA shorties off my car that the previous owner put in. They aren't bad but much prefer the long tubes I just put on. As others have said though, you'll see better gains with other mods for the time being.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

what you can get out of a set of shorties hp wise, you can probably do with a good intake and spend 1/2 the cost. I know that at times there this itch to do something to your car, and we see something and say WOW all that HP out of that...What many marketing directors forget to put on is that usually its after a few other mods too have taken place in their advertising or commercials.

Many 'shorty' headers do not produce any type of exhaust scavenging effect. All they really are is just better flowing manifolds.The best headers are ''tuned" full length headers.As the exhaust exits the tubes they scavenge the other tubes, and the gasses don't collide in the collector like in many shorties.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You just shuffle LT's and manifolds every two years, it's not that hard, you get faster/better at it each time... do not dare to show up with LT's on, that's not wise.

Various LT's tuck up good leaving good ground clearance.

Get stainless if you have sufficient budget.

"Emissions Legal" simply means all the bungs/flanges to fit O2/AIR/EGR/cats are present.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't know there was a lid with an EO#.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Some of us live in counties that don't know "a lot about our cars" so some look like its "stock" looking as long as no SES light or we can pass the sniffer - to lazy to get under the car and actually look for cats/stock stuff...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

I'd do shorties last since it's the most $ for the least power. I ran them for years with all the other bolt ons. They add a decent sound to the exhaust... But not much more! Get the ones with the biggest primaries you can and definitely coated. Mine ran a tad rich after the headers. Smogging cars with longtubes in Cali is a bitch... Trust me! What IS ILLEAGAL in California is changing the LOCATION of the cats. Since they're in the tunnel, you're screwed for even midlengths, unless they overlook it. You are only allowed to get aftermarket cats if your car has over 70,000 miles. The funnest mods I ever got were gears and an electric cutout. You can do a pulley, a LS6 manifold, high flow cats and EWP first also. THEN get the headers if you still got money to burn. You can go pretty fast smog legal with stock internals. With a lid, catback, pulley and shorties with the stock cats and still a LS1 intake, my car trapped 112mph. Just do things in order of "bang for the buck"!

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 07-31-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Launching!

here in Bahrain we have emission test every year .. so i have to swap my headers every year to stock manifolds.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

man sucks for us
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txmanincali
The ugly truth to all of this is that the entire US is due to adopt California's Smog regulations by 2012... how bout that!!!
i doubt it....

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers... Are they worth the upgrade?