Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in Oil, Oil Leak. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant in Oil, Oil Leak. Help!!

I was driving down the freeway today on my way to the gym and my car shuts off, no noise no nothing. I thought it had stalled or I was having battery problems. Tried cranking it over while rolling but got nothing but what sounded like the very beginning of a start up then all lights shut off and it wouldn't turn over.

So I coast it into the parking lot and start to check my battery connections when I smell oil, so I look under the car and oil is leaking out pretty good. Called a tow truck and took it back to the house and drained the oil. To my surprise nothing but coolant poured out for a good minute, a good amount. Then afterwards here comes the oil. I was wondering why my dipstick was reading so crazy high when I had leaked out a couple quarts lol. Anyhow, no metal in the coolant or oil, so I'm hoping there is no engine damage, maybe just a head gasket.

The only thing I am concerned about is the oil leaking out, I can not see where is leaked from but it is on the passenger side, the front cradle blocks my view where the oil seems to be coming from. So my question is... Is it possible for oil to leak out of a blown head gasket? Is there anybody else who has had a similar situation?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with a blown head gasket is that it can introduce not only coolant, but steam into the other passages - the oil can then be diluted forced almost anywhere. You will not know much more until you tear into it.