Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polluter cam? Good for hwy hammerin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are my 4.11's gunna be low enough for a big cam like the ones we have been talking about... or do i need the 430's. im a m6.....
i see 4000 stall on the trex ad.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
I have the polluter cam installed and it does pull like crazy from 4500 on up. Gas mileage I have no idea, I don't care. I have it matched up with a 4k stall.
02sweet, have u raced any cam only ls1 cars after the polluter was installed?
any street results....
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stunna p
02sweet, have u raced any cam only ls1 cars after the polluter was installed?
any street results....
I ran a 12.0x the only time I took it to the track. I found out my converter was messed up and still waiting to put it back together.

I have not yet run someone else with a ls1 on the street or track

I would not have this cam in the car if I didn't race the car.

I am not a fan of roll racing or highway pulls so I can't help you there but I can tell you that a 30-70 pull is lots of fun even with the messed up converter.

I currently have a stock 10 bolt with 3.42 gears and I need more! Over the winter I will put in a 9" with 4.11s.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

i would love some people to chime in about there cam beating another on the street.. this vs that type first hand stuff...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would love some people to chime in about there cam beating another on the street.. this vs that type first hand stuff...
You should just change the name of the thread to PISSING MATCH!!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BaddBird
You should just change the name of the thread to PISSING MATCH!!
its just, doin a ls1 cam swap is alot of work to do twice... im just afraid of getting something that is not all that great... i admit, im alittle obsesive.
i just dont like losing. theres a white terminator lightning around here that id like round 2 with..ya know what i mean.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CALL A SPONSOR, TELL THEM YOU WANT THE BIGGEST ******* STREETABLE CAM POSSIBLE, SLAP IT IN, AND FIND OUT WHERE YOU STAND.

/thread.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

i just wish a sponsor would comment or suggest tward the right direction of my goal...sponsors?......
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

its just, doin a ls1 cam swap is alot of work to do twice... im just afraid of getting something that is not all that great... i admit, im alittle obsesive.
i just dont like losing. theres a white terminator lightning around here that id like round 2 with..ya know what i mean.

Put a two piece timing cover in when you do the cam, makes swaps easier from then on.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Properly set up, a baby-cam will RAPE an improperly set up donkey-dick cam. If you're going Polluter you'll need AT LEAST a 4.10 gear. If you're willing to consider a mid-size cam or even a baby-cam then you can make 380-400rwhp on stock heads and an LS6 and it should run pretty well. I've read posts about people with Polluters (and other max-effort cams) who don't want the necessary gear to perform optimally with it wondering why they have a lopey weaksauce-mobile. Whatever you do, plan your mods around it.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rob69zombie
Properly set up, a baby-cam will RAPE an improperly set up donkey-dick cam. If you're going Polluter you'll need AT LEAST a 4.10 gear. If you're willing to consider a mid-size cam or even a baby-cam then you can make 380-400rwhp on stock heads and an LS6 and it should run pretty well. I've read posts about people with Polluters (and other max-effort cams) who don't want the necessary gear to perform optimally with it wondering why they have a lopey weaksauce-mobile. Whatever you do, plan your mods around it.
100% True. To go with a big cam you need to be setup to take advantage of it. In doing that you loose the streetability of the car. I drive it on the street now but highway cruising gets a little much.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been following this thread for a while it looks like you are just wanting some reassurance on getting the polluter if thats what you want then get it! It is a big *** cam and you are going to have a car that drives like a big *** cam car will. It will be great up top but I promise you the first time you get spanked on the street/highway by a custom so called "baby" cam Fbody or Vette you are going to be like WTF did I do wrong. Were all going to come back to this thread and show you the multiple replies where it said get a cam custom spec'd to your goals.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got milk??
I have been following this thread for a while it looks like you are just wanting some reassurance on getting the polluter if thats what you want then get it! It is a big *** cam and you are going to have a car that drives like a big *** cam car will. It will be great up top but I promise you the first time you get spanked on the street/highway by a custom so called "baby" cam Fbody or Vette you are going to be like WTF did I do wrong. Were all going to come back to this thread and show you the multiple replies where it said get a cam custom spec'd to your goals.
i talked to lloyd elliott awhile back about a cam, i guess the whole custom cam thing makes me think torque and " stockish like "charactoristics.
not evil sick high rpm power band get off type results. i think maybe the max effort thing had my attention... i may give le a call back and get his opinions on my intentions.. thanks for the insight all of you...............stunna
Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant bash on big cams.. everytime i think of a big cam, i just think of TRMIN8R and the MS3 killing everything..
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never driven or raced a Polluter cam car so I cannot comment on it. But....I beat 2 pullied lightnings BADLY with my little 230/234 cam....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I have never driven or raced a Polluter cam car so I cannot comment on it. But....I beat 2 pullied lightnings BADLY with my little 230/234 cam....
is your cam a custom grind??
Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Message Patrick G and have him spec you out a custom cam for what you have. That is the best bet. Every ls1 motor responds differently to a cam. One car can have the polluter and be absolutely amazing while another car is just terrible to drive with it. Everyone will tell you custom cam over any other.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02Sweet
100% True. To go with a big cam you need to be setup to take advantage of it. In doing that you loose the streetability of the car. I drive it on the street now but highway cruising gets a little much.
set up wise I should be prepared! I have a moser 9in, w/ 4.11 gears.
umi adjustable torque arm, sportlines, new adj kyb shocks/struts, bbk lt headers, no cats, cat back etc,etc. what else do i need???? to properly take advantage of a big cam................
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Polluter could really use 4.30's. You know what gear Tick runs in their Polluter car don't you?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the polluter with 4.10 gears, 28" tall DR, M6, Ls6 intake,cleaned up 241heads, springs and a stock cubed forged bottom end. I went from a 15mph roll with a 05GT Mustang with am S-Trim Vortech making 485rwhp and had him by a fender to about 140. We did that twice. The car definitly could use some more low end HP but I usually launch around 4k and gets going quickly. For a monster cam, it does have some cam surge and it's not the most streetable cam out there(I don't mind it at all). I also don't DD my car as it's more of a night/weekend toy. Take what you will from that.

Quick Reply: Polluter cam? Good for hwy hammerin?