Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rediculous quote for roller rockers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rediculous quote for roller rockers????

Just had a quote for me for installing crane 1.85s, new valve springs and pushrods. Nothing else.

$400 if they're non adjustable
$800 if they require lash setting

Im being really lazy i dont have an air compressor nor want to wait for a tool i'll use just once to keep the valves up.. but wtf $800 ?? are you serious?? Does this sound reasonable? If so i'll just suck it up and do it myself...
Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the valve spring compressor, use the TDC on the springs. I never use a compressor for valve springs.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, I'm a tard and I can do all that stuff pretty easy. Read up on it and try it out if you haven't already.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

I've checked and set lash multiple times on my vette.. but there's room to spare. With the hood up I just sit on the tire with my legs on the inside and set away lol. I know there isn't much room on the fbody thats why I was thinking to just have someone else do it. Plus I wasn't sure about how to keep the valves from falling and I don't have an air compressor and all that stuff...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

If you get each piston to TDC, the valves won't drop. Come on, Man. You know you wanna do it.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=0
Old 08-29-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Well I do dont get me wrong.. its just finding the time where the wife will leave me alone for a few hours :/

I was thinking to get the tool that bolts to the rocker boss and compresses both springs at once. How would I know when the piston is tdc though? I mean I know where it will be roughly by the valves but does it need to be right near the top so the valves dont fall in?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

I'm a novice myself, but did this sucessfully without a problem. But someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Take your spark plugs out. Rotate the crank gear with a breaker bar until the you're between where the intake valve is just closing and the exhaust valve is just opening. You can stuff a wire or something into the spark plug hole to feel the piston coming up and down to make you feel better about it. The only way you're going to loose a valve is if you're below the bottom half of the bore with the piston. When you're at TDC, it will only drop less than an inch. Another cylinder will be at TDC simotaneously on a different stroke. 1&6, 8&5, 7&4, 3&2, so you only have to do this 4 times. You can replace spark plugs and valveseals for good measure at this time if you want to.

Other ways-
Copy and pasted from ls1howto:

Top dead center method
This method requires you to put the piston at the highest position in the bore, so that when you start to compress the spring, the valve can only drop until it hits the piston. When the piston is at top dead center, the valve can't move very far at all.
There are several ways to accomplish this:
A) You can place a small stick/rod/straw/something into the spark plug hole and have a buddy turn the crankshaft by putting the stock 24mm crank pulley bolt in and turning the bolt with a wrench. You should be able to feel when the piston comes up to the top.

B) This method is a bit more elegant. Rotate your motor over by hand until your cam gear and crank gear are dot to dot like you set them up as earlier. At this position, piston 1 and 6 should be at top dead center. You can change the 4 springs on these 2 cylinders now using the instructions below. After you change those 4, then, rotate the crankshaft a full 90 degrees, and the cam gear dot will turn 45 degrees, as if it is pointing to 7:30 if it were a clock. Now piston 8 and 5 are at the top and can be changed. Rotate another 90 degrees on the crank and your cam gear dot will now be at 9 o'clock. Piston 7 and 4 can now have their springs changed. And FINALLY, rotate the crank another 90 degrees and the cam gear dot will be at 10:30. You can now change your remaining four springs on piston 3 and 2.

Once again, that's 1 & 6, rotate 90, 8 & 5, rotate 90, 7 & 4, rotate 90, 3 & 2.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 08-30-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

**EDIT** If this ISN"T an LS1, I think the firing order is different on a C4, I'm not sure if that makes a difference on the two at a time method or not???