Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got tired of chocolate milk coolant. . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got tired of chocolate milk coolant. . .

so after 145K miles, it's time to do something about it. . .

Looked like this. . .

Teardown started finally! Only took me 3 years, 125 passes (4 or 5 on nitrous) to get tired of it.

Intake removal. . .

Look! ! ! Cross hatching

NASTY heads! ! !

How I left it a bit ago

Last edited by Duffster; 09-15-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad its getting done finaly duff!, those are the graphite head gaskets, i cant beileve your car runs what it does at the track with all that gunk. should run like a champ after wards. little clean up will do her some good!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Mine was like chocolate pudding b/c the power steering cooler was leaking. I replaced the upper radiator hose to delete the cooler and flushed the gunk out. Make sure you clean the overflow, it'll be full of crap too.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

I just had put my engine back in my car and had driven a hundred miles so it was time to change the oil and my son who is 5 1/2 years old was watching me put the oil in the engine. Well I sat the 3/4 empty quart of oil down and had removed the radiator cap to check to see if any radiator fluid needed to be added,,which it needed alittle bit so as I was walking back from my garage with the coolant jug I hear ( look daddy i'm a great helper) Well he had poored the rest of the oil into the radiator.

So anyways after about 15 miles since this happened I have pretty much gotten all the oil out of the radiator by sucking the oil up that collects around the coolant cap.

Also just to let yall know I did not scald my son for doing this I just told him to wait for me next time he decides to help.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Zach, got the block surfaces and piston faces all cleaned up today. Looks alot better. Will still run a degreaser or something over it before putting gaskets back on.

02BlkWS6, I was thinking it was my cooler too so I replaced it last year (wasn't it. . .)

incbed, gotta love it though when your kid wants to play w/you don't you!

Went looking at several stores today for taps to clean out the bolt holes and didn't find one for the big bolts, so I'll make my own tomorrow using a used bolt & a dremel...

Will yank out my A/C box in the next few days while I'm at it and get the coil relocation going (my main reason for alot of this) - Oil wasn't getting on my last nerve yet :/

Al, don't forget there are grounding straps on the back side of the drivers heads and remove the power steering BEFORE you yank the drivers head. . .

For anyone who's doing a job like this in the near future, removing the hood makes a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! ! !
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like my last 2 days. Gotta love the graphite gaskets. How do you clean out all the crap that gets down by the piston rings?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

cover the other 3 when doing each one. . .

squirt a lot of wd-40. . .

air-blow out the rest . .
Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did all that, but I still had some goodies left over down there. Not that it matters, bearings are bad but I was just curious. I like the MLS gaskets way better.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you wont be making it to Norwalk for Josh's meet this year huh? Haha, good luck with the project!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

when is the meet?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This Saturday.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Alright, I dropped the heads off (241s) for a good cleaning, decking 3-5 thousandths, and 3 angle valve job. Of course now I'm toying w/the idea of getting a set of 243s and working on another set of roller rockers. . .

Whats the norm on touching up exhaust ports for better flow? How about light touchup for intake runners (leaving the differential little hump thingy around the valve stem. . .)?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

dropped by machine shop and caught work just before valve job... I stole this picture from someone elses thread but it represents what I've got here. . .

Like this one here the edge of the intake valve is pretty close to being sharp. The machinist suggested replacing the valves so I figure I better check here. . . is everyone elses intake valves looking like this? The exhaust valves all had nearly 1/8" edges on them.

Please hit me quick on this.
He also called me afterwards and informed me one of my valve locks was split in half so I had '3' pieces holding the valve retainer in place. No idea how long this was the case. Called Patriot Performance and got another set and full set of valve seals coming my way.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Found an old thread so might as well update it...

Valves are fine. New MLS gaskets, header gaskets and collector gaskets await.
Had my heads worked pretty cheap and I think I'll like the results.
Toyed recently with going 90mm tb/intake elbow, but opted not to.
Got some new toys including: Chris Alston Coil Overs for front with 2-sets of springs and dual-adjustable shocks, Aerospace Comptonant front drag brakes, BMR K-member, BMR upper & lower a-arms, BMR alt bkt, BMR A/C delete plate, Madman manual steering rack, battery relocation kit to trunk with aluminum box and Summit disconnect & rod, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Had my headers bead blasted & recoated black ceramic.

Replaced numerous sets of bolts within the engine with ARP while I was at it.

In all, I should have removed near 300# off the nose of the car. As soon as a few more gaskets for the timing cover (had it powder coated like valley cover & elbow) show up, I'm getting into it!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!it should really improve ET.would sonic washing a car part clean it good enough ?did you get a valve job?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

I'm hoping for better ETs JUST bought a set of 243s while I was at it...

Sonic washing which part? Yes I got the valve job, but now it's a moot point.

Things change fast
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

changed again... looks like I'll save the 243's for later and just go with my 241's as they've been modified. I MIGHT even gasket-match the intakes on them inside the next week to keep busy while waiting for my spindles & upper a-arm bracket (cutting & blasting in progress). My engine mounts were crap so I got a set of polys coming now Wife don't like the car any more

Quick Reply: Got tired of chocolate milk coolant. . .