Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Go to Synthetic Oil,Need Advice Especially From PatMan!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Ok dude, run conventional in your motor then. It wont benefit me one way or the other. No sense in just sitting here crying about it over the internet. All I can do is to tell the OP MY personal experience and gains while using synthetic and others gains while using it as well. That was a pretty cute little comment about cleaning tools, makes me realize how old you are because that one has been around for ages. So grandpaw if you have anything else to say about it then just PM me.
Hate to break it to you Slick but I'm not debating with you over which oil is better synthetic vs conventional they both have their pros & cons.The issue is you stepped on your dick by making the bullshit claim of gaining 2-5 MPG by simply switching to synthetic oil. The only reasonable explanation for this is maybe they don't know how to figure gas mileage down in Po Dunk, Mississippi. As far as my age it is 35 but you already know that because I see you checked out my profile page. Pm you, if I was to Pm you anything it would be a link to a Special Ed class ( LD class for you younger guys) in Automotive Basics.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's get this straight.... All 99% of us need to know about oil is found below:

Use the right viscosity and keep it changed.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

it never ceases to amaze me what I read on the internet
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
Oil being safe out to 5-7k with regular driving is a bit beyond "pushing" 3k recommended change intervals.

My point is, just because an OEM recommends something doesn't mean it's always the only, or best, thing to use, especially once you bypass the generalization factors used by the OEM to pick things.
do more frequent oil changes hurt your engine?

It's COMPLETELY different than the weight of the oil they recommend. A recommended oil change interval is nothing like a technical specification.

btw: They've been suggesting 5000+ for years now.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Hate to break it to you Slick but I'm not debating with you over which oil is better synthetic vs conventional they both have their pros & cons.The issue is you stepped on your dick by making the bullshit claim of gaining 2-5 MPG by simply switching to synthetic oil. The only reasonable explanation for this is maybe they don't know how to figure gas mileage down in Po Dunk, Mississippi. As far as my age it is 35 but you already know that because I see you checked out my profile page. Pm you, if I was to Pm you anything it would be a link to a Special Ed class ( LD class for you younger guys) in Automotive Basics.
I love it,this is more like being over on the LS1TECH forum. Oh,I forgot this is LS1TECH where the insults and expert opinions never stop coming. I don't mean just you guy...it's the nature of the forum in general...there's seldom a discussion on any subject here that doesn't develop into a full blown pissing contest...which in turn makes me laugh at all the childish remarks...just call me grandpaw.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

who the hell is PATMAN.......?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://news.carjunky.com/car_mainten...l-abc597.shtml
Old 09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treyZ28
do more frequent oil changes hurt your engine?

It's COMPLETELY different than the weight of the oil they recommend. A recommended oil change interval is nothing like a technical specification.

btw: They've been suggesting 5000+ for years now.
Is running 5w-30 instead of 10w-30 going to kill your engine? No. Are there instances when a person may benefit from running a different weight oil in their engine than OEM recommendations? Yes. OEM recommendation is designed to cover the most broad application as possible with the most safety factor thrown in, meaning that deviating from OEM can show benefits in specific situations.

GM recommends I use AC Delco plugs in my car...I use NGKs, because they work better in my specific case. Doesn't mean I think I'm smarter than GM engineers, it just means my specific situation was outside of the range of GM's factors for determining what spark plug to use, thus, their recommendation wasn't the best.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have used Mobil One from the get go...the car now has 219,000 + miles on it .. it has used 1/2 quart of oil evry 2500 miles its whole life..it has had 3 different cams and heads on it and has been run like a hot rod its whole life...used 0-40 Mobil 1 till it got 120,000 miles and then switched to 10-40 Mobil 1 High Mileage Oil ..... changed it at 5,000 miie intervals ... the last time I had the heads off the engine still looked great on the inside and you could still see cross hatching on the cylinder walls...I will continue to use synthetic oil for obvious reasons...
Unless you have something like this to provide, I'd say just be quite about this. Everyone can have their theories and scientific know-how. I want the guy who actually has 220k miles on his engine (with similar mods, driveability habits, etc). In all honesty what we should do is take the damn high mileage thread, ask them each what they're running for oil, and vuala everyone can shut up about oil then mmmk?

Everything else is just here-say otherwise. Follow the GM manual? Well this can go both ways. You can either say "the engineers at GM know what oil to run! They're super smart and made the engine" or you can say "GM is a company that has to make money, why would they want you to really know how to make your car last beyond the warranty as then you'd go bankrupt, you should run a thicker oil". There's two sides to EVERY ARGUMENT like this. Either provide mileage and the oil you use (real actual proof) or just stop adding to the oil chaos lol
Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
who the hell is PATMAN.......?
PATMAN knows more about oil than anyone else on the forum he has been the oil guru on ls1tech for years..
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by soundengineer
your car EATS 1/2 Quart of oil every 2500 miles???

thats not good..

the 2 cars I've had that I owned since day one with less than 3 miles on one and 4 miles on the other when I picked them up from the dealer....never ate any oil from a proper break in...

all of the ones that I owned after somebody else(and they told me they used synthetic oil their whole life) all ate oil..
I will have to disagree with you sir ...a half quart every 2500 miles is not eating oil......I work at a Chevy dealership and if your engine used a quart every 1000 miles GM will tell you it is within specs...my car is a daily driver heads/cam and all the boltons making 452/418 it has been run hard every day of its life...using a quart every 5000 miles is good oil consumption on a LS series engine..especially one that gets driven hard all the time.

PS Now days a engine is broken in 35-40 miles .. they run better if you put some pressure on them right away ... agressively runing them up and down the rpm range ... years ago you babied them for the first 500 miles not so in the present ... the machining techniques and metals that are used now are far different than that was used 20,30, or 40 years ago.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't mean to start arguments or Debates here.All I wanted to know if it was safe to use synthetic oil in a Higher Miliage Vehicle. Now Where the Hell is Patman ?!?! LOL
Old 09-29-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

I have been running Mobil 1 5w30 ever since I bought the car back in January 2004. This time for oil I bought some Castrol Syntec 0w30 (made in germany on the back). Tons of information on bob is the oil guy on that stuff, and everyone speaks highly of it.
-Joel
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 AM
12 Second Club

I will have to disagree with you sir ...a half quart every 2500 miles is not eating oil......I work at a Chevy dealership and if your engine used a quart every 1000 miles GM will tell you it is within specs...my car is a daily driver heads/cam and all the boltons making 452/418 it has been run hard every day of its life...using a quart every 5000 miles is good oil consumption on a LS series engine..especially one that gets driven hard all the time.

PS Now days a engine is broken in 35-40 miles .. they run better if you put some pressure on them right away ... agressively runing them up and down the rpm range ... years ago you babied them for the first 500 miles not so in the present ... the machining techniques and metals that are used now are far different than that was used 20,30, or 40 years ago.
1 quart every 1000 is within spec for any performance engine I have ever owned. '71 pontiac 400, '76 pontiac 455, had two of the best engines list BMW 3.0L, LS1, and I guess I'll throw in a 5.3L from a silverado.

IMO if your not burning oil your tolerances are too tight and you don't have a "HP freak" short block.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
1 quart every 1000 is within spec for any performance engine I have ever owned. '71 pontiac 400, '76 pontiac 455, had two of the best engines list BMW 3.0L, LS1, and I guess I'll throw in a 5.3L from a silverado.

IMO if your not burning oil your tolerances are too tight and you don't have a "HP freak" short block.
Not really, but sure.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
I didn't mean to start arguments or Debates here.All I wanted to know if it was safe to use synthetic oil in a Higher Miliage Vehicle. Now Where the Hell is Patman ?!?! LOL
Why don't you send him a PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Not really, but sure.
explain...

what cars going to make that extra hp if its so tight it doesnt let even a little oil get by? personally with the amount of piston slap these cars have your going to burn excessive amount of oil just during that interval. now if you take 3 trips during that 1000 miles perhaps you will experience less burn than one taking 15 mile trips or less.

in my experience i see a vast amount of oil and fuel used during startup-warmup compared to the bmws

Last edited by disc0monkey; 09-29-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Well sport I didnt step on my dick by making any bullshit claim. Look dude, I'm getting tired of your mouth. Quit trying to show out on here by putting down Mississippi and telling me I need to go to a special ed class. I am 22 years old and I will lay down pay stubs with you any time. I am not a dumb ***, I have done the research, I know what the deal is with synthetic oil. It reduces friction and heat in the motor which increases horsepower and thats what it was designed to do, thats fact. If you dont think its any better then go tell NASCAR, Formula 1 and the NHRA. Maybe they will listen to you cause I'm not. My statements and opinions were not for you, they were for the OP. If you dont like them then thats your problem. Get off my nuts and go back to doing "certified tech" stuff.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PATMAN knows more about oil than anyone else on the forum he has been the oil guru on ls1tech for years..
Is it PatG??? OMG or Rangerman
Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
Well sport I didnt step on my dick by making any bullshit claim. Look dude, I'm getting tired of your mouth. Quit trying to show out on here by putting down Mississippi and telling me I need to go to a special ed class. I am 22 years old and I will lay down pay stubs with you any time. I am not a dumb ***, I have done the research, I know what the deal is with synthetic oil. It reduces friction and heat in the motor which increases horsepower and thats what it was designed to do, thats fact. If you dont think its any better then go tell NASCAR, Formula 1 and the NHRA. Maybe they will listen to you cause I'm not. My statements and opinions were not for you, they were for the OP. If you dont like them then thats your problem. Get off my nuts and go back to doing "certified tech" stuff.
No one is arguing that it isn't "better." No one is saying NASCAR and F1 don't use it.

None of that means it it will increase mpg by 2-5mpg. We're saying that it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of increasing fuel efficiency by 2-5mpg and such a claim is absolutely laughable, at best and if we want to be polite. Likewise, your "leave me alone! I wasn't talking to you!" whining is amusing, but holds no water.

But you make more money, so you must be right. Outstanding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to Go to Synthetic Oil,Need Advice Especially From PatMan!