Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump pickup tube o-ring...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil pump pickup tube o-ring...

Finished my cam swap last week (including ported LS6 oil pump & LS2 timing chain), only to find out I had a major crack in my oil pan after starting the car & dumping oil all over my garage floor.

So, I pulled the oil pan this weekend to install a new one. I figured I’d go ahead & check the new oring I installed while I had the pan off. Well, it was torn smooth in half. Yikes! Man, I thought I was careful, I guess not careful enough!

Being that it was late Saturday night & I had no way of getting another new oring, I just popped the old oring off from my stock pump (130k miles) & checked it out. It’s a bit smaller than the new one I ripped, but it seemed to be in good shape with no nics or cuts, so I went ahead & swapped it in & finished up my install (PS oring was much easier to install with the pan dropped!).

Well, now after doing some reading, it seems as if I should have waited & bought another new oring rather than reuse the old one, even though it looked good.

Here are my pressures, using standard Penzoil 5w30...

Idle at cold start – 55 psi
Idle after being warmed up to operating temp – 45 psi
Idle after driving 10 miles out on the highway – 25 psi

I haven’t gone WOT yet since I wanted to heat cycle the springs a few times first. But, when it’s warmed up & idling around 45 psi, it only jumps up to 50 psi or so when I rev it to 3k rpm’s.

I’m gonna give her some more throttle this afternoon & see what it does from there.

One more thing, I pulled my dipstick & checked it when I was down around 25 psi idle & there were no bubbles at all.

So, long story short, do I need to drop the pan back down & install a new oring again, or am I good where I’m at? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited by osuhog; 10-04-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lifters are quiet you should be ok. When the oring leaks air into the oil the lifters get noisy.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For engine's sake, I would go ahead and pull it out and install a new O ring.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually is just about as quiet as stock (the engine, not the exhaust). That said, when I first started it with the ripped o-ring & crack in the oil pan, it was loud as hell.

bene, I know that's probably what I'm gonna end up doing regardless, because it's just gonna drive me crazy if I don't. That said, if I spend another evening in the garage within the next few weeks, my wife may divorce me!

Quick Reply: Oil pump pickup tube o-ring...