Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam parts all at once or one by one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam parts all at once or one by one?

I'm curious to see how many people bought all their cam parts at the same time, or bought part by part until they had enough money. I'm a full time college student, working 30 hours a week at carquest, and I find it pretty damn hard to save up a substantial amount of money. I would have a lot more right now but things have kept popping up (window motor went out, oil change came up, other bills etc).

I have wanted a cam for the past year, but have not been serious enough to set aside any money for it. Over the summer I ended up blowing $500 on a MGW shifter and tick master because my stock shifter and hydraulics were horrid. I haven't bought any go fast parts since my headers and y-pipe...and that was two years ago. **** is killing me now, I've grown bored with the power and hearing that deep lope is all I dream about. So I've decided that I'm going to only spend the bare minimum to support myself, and save the rest of the money for cam parts (cam, oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, springs, etc). When I have enough money to buy one part, I'll go for it. Hopefully this will motivate me to save as much as I can with parts laying all around my room. Shooting for the end of winter to have everything.

How have others gone about this, especially full time college students?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the money and get it all at once. This way you'll only have to pay shipping one time and most sponsor cam packages are cheaper than buying it all separate
Old 10-12-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to purchase the TSP camshaft package with the torquer v2 cam, prc double springs retainers and seals, and pushrods. The oil pump and timing chain are the only things I will have to buy separately. So I guess it's only three purchases I will be making...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

I did mine a little at a time. I work at advance auto with about the same hours as you, I went with a 226 cam, pac 1218's, comp pushrods, and ls2 chain. I did the swap at 75k car has 97k now and everything is GOOD made 400+HP. I did mine piece by piece a gasket here or chain there didnt change the oil pump (dont beat me up lol) but everything's great I just ported it a little.

I actually caught a good deal on the cam (120 with pushrods) and wasnt going to use it because the general consensus here is that it sucked but tried it anyhow and couldnt be happier. I actually ran it on a Frost mailorder for 4-5 months before I saved enough for a dynotune.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive done both ways. being from a similar situation, 30 hours a week and full-time clemson student ive noticed that if you buy piece by piece then it forces you to save for the next part. like if ive got valvesprings sitting in the closet i work harder to save up for a cam, then for pushrods, so on.

When i did my Heads and cam a few years ago, i pretty much bought all that at once though, the TSP package. now that im doing my M6 swap, since i am buying alot of parts secondhand, its been mostly a "piece it together" type build. either way, the shipping can be neglible if its smaller pieces.