Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT ROD head comparison (cathedrial vs square)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still makes sense, to me, to inform the customers on a chart such at this that you have to either supply your own castings or buy new ones. Call it $500 for used casting from the classifieds and that goes to $26.57ish per HP (still a nice bang for the buck of course, but a little deceiving, IMO, when you're only comparing them to aftermarket castings) . And didn't they have a smaller chamber than the "standard" for the test??

Still nice results though, and no surprise from the ported LS6's....I would have loved the opportunity to send some of our ported LS6 heads too for a better comparison with the TEA's!! Maybe they'll line up some ported LS6's for another article down the road

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Thanks for putting that together Brian!
X3. Save me from paper cuts flipping back and forth LOL.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come I feel like I have done this before.. :-)..
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
I thought I would create a spreadsheet for the results, I should probably follow this up with one of avg coefficient of discharge based on valve diameter, flow and port volume. That would probably explain the results a little better, especially when you consider the heads with the smallest port volume (Procomp at 219cc) made the most HP and the some of the largest heads made the least (Dart 249cc and World 255cc)

I was surprised that the TFS 235 heads had the highest average torque and the highest average horsepower, but didn't have the highest peak torque or peak horsepower.

Something to note, the CNC program for the TEA LS6 heads is all new for 2010, it was in the works for a couple years.

I put the cost per horsepower gained, which made the most sense to me.

It sure would be nice to see a factory cast unported L92 casting run through this test and compare the cost per hp gained
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I loved the article and thougt it did a decent job keeping it fair, Never heard of the procomp and thought they did well and not a bad price either anybody use them?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

very intresting
Old 10-29-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

they should have bolted on a set of tfs 225 and the results would have blown the other two away....typical biased test...guess who advertises in their mag????
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Old School Heavy

I would love to see a back to back dyno comparison of L92 heads vs. Ported 243s. I think most people on this board want to see that.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I would love to see a back to back dyno comparison of L92 heads vs. Ported 243s. I think most people on this board want to see that.
Agreed. This article is the one that really turned my head towards the L92's check it out

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ugh/index.html
Old 10-30-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cam
Agreed. This article is the one that really turned my head towards the L92's check it out

great article thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by cam

That is a good article. You can kind of extrapolate how they would have done if included in the test from that.

Although I have no doubt that they will perform well on that larger motors with the larger cams, I would like to see how the lower end of the torque curve looks on a milder 5.7 or 6.0 motor compared to ported LS6 heads.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Head Comparison

I thought I would create a spreadsheet for the results, I should probably follow this up with one of avg coefficient of discharge based on valve diameter, flow and port volume. That would probably explain the results a little better, especially when you consider the heads with the smallest port volume (Procomp at 219cc) made the most HP and the some of the largest heads made the least (Dart 249cc and World 255cc)

I was surprised that the TFS 235 heads had the highest average torque and the highest average horsepower, but didn't have the highest peak torque or peak horsepower.

Something to note, the CNC program for the TEA LS6 heads is all new for 2010, it was in the works for a couple years.

Brian,
Thanks for the spreedsheet. This is great info, I was actually just fixing to post a thread asking info on the several of the heads that are in this paticular article. Don't have too now.

It's amazing what a search will turn up Sounds like a new set of heads's are in my future plans.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Old School Heavy

To me, this is just more proof that CNC'd production castings are an incredible value for your average build. Unless I was going big cubic inch, or needed additional strength in the deck, I would be hard pressed to use anything else.

Quick Reply: HOT ROD head comparison (cathedrial vs square)