Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's with all the different torque specs for arp head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's with all the different torque specs for arp head bolts?

Searching around I have found on this site the following torque specs:

1: 15mm 35/65/85
11mm 10/20/30

2: 15mm 30/60/85
11mm 18/29

3: 15mm 30/50/70
11mm 22

4: 15mm 40/60/70/85
11mm 22/29

They are all with the arp moly lube. So which one is the correct one? Number is the LS1howto specs, the rest i found using the search.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only correct ones are the ones supplied by ARP. They updated their specifications a year or so ago, which may be why you see 70 lb-ft and 85 lb-ft. Call them and get the latest.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

From last summer, when I installed mine... I think I did 30/50/75

Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

well f*#k I had no idea about this whole washer being different. I installed them cpmplety random. What is the fix now??? FML!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by splitfinger09
well f*#k I had no idea about this whole washer being different. I installed them cpmplety random. What is the fix now??? FML!!!!!!!
take them all back out and install correctly..... or order a new head bolt kit and install right with new headgaskets
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Ok so I called a few people and it looks like I will indeed have to remove the bolts to fix this problem. However I have gotten a few different opinions on how to re torque. Should I pull one bolt at a time and just re torque all the way back to final torque? Or should I pull all the bolts and go back over the original torque sequence. Also the motor has been run for like a minute or two. Will any coolant seep into these holes when I pull the bolts? Thanks for all the help. Im so pissed AHHHHHH
Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I called a few people and it looks like I will indeed have to remove the bolts to fix this problem. However I have gotten a few different opinions on how to re torque. Should I pull one bolt at a time and just re torque all the way back to final torque? Or should I pull all the bolts and go back over the original torque sequence. Also the motor has been run for like a minute or two. Will any coolant seep into these holes when I pull the bolts? Thanks for all the help. Im so pissed AHHHHHH

I am not sure... there is a torque sequence for a reason if you take everything all the way back off you will probable get coolant into the bolt holes and risk messing with your head gasket. basically this is a big learning experience that may cost you another set of gaskets
Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 11seccamaro
I am not sure... there is a torque sequence for a reason if you take everything all the way back off you will probable get coolant into the bolt holes and risk messing with your head gasket. basically this is a big learning experience that may cost you another set of gaskets
ARP bolts are reusable though correct? Also I talke to ARP and they said pull one bolt at a time and just re torque to final spec. Will the head gaskets need to be replaced with maybe a minute or two of the car running? Yeah you could say its a big learning experience alright...
Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Ok so here is the final consensus. I talked with two guys from ARP and also to Ron at Vengeance. All three agreed that I can pull one bolt at a time and re-torque to the final torque of 70 ft lbs. I feel that this should work because the head is already clamped to the block. Any ideas or suggestions to this method would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so here is the final consensus. I talked with two guys from ARP and also to Ron at Vengeance. All three agreed that I can pull one bolt at a time and re-torque to the final torque of 70 ft lbs. I feel that this should work because the head is already clamped to the block. Any ideas or suggestions to this method would be appreciated.
I assume the consensus was to do that in the otherwise applicable "sequence."
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darkman
I assume the consensus was to do that in the otherwise applicable "sequence."
Well that was not discussed but yes I had planned on taking them out starting with bolt number one according to the torque sequence on ls1howto.com What do you think about this method?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well that was not discussed but yes I had planned on taking them out starting with bolt number one according to the torque sequence on ls1howto.com What do you think about this method?
Sounds right to me.

At one time ARP specified that their bolts should be re-torqued after several heat cycles, and I think the procedure you describe (except for the need in your case to actually remove the bolts during the procedure) is the same. The trick is to not have all the bolts completely loose at the same time, which of course is just common sense.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darkman
Sounds right to me.

At one time ARP specified that their bolts should be re-torqued after several heat cycles, and I think the procedure you describe (except for the need in your case to actually remove the bolts during the procedure) is the same. The trick is to not have all the bolts completely loose at the same time, which of course is just common sense.
ok well I guess I will just hope for the best. do you think I will get any coolant seepage in the bolt heads when doing this? And no I will only have one bolt loose at a time.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

ok well I guess I will just hope for the best. do you think I will get any coolant seepage in the bolt heads when doing this? And no I will only have one bolt loose at a time.
I don't think you will get any coolant seepage at all. I would remove the cooling system cap (if you have one) or loosen the upper hose to make sure there is no pressure though.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Follow the torque sequence and do one bolt at a time. There should be no coolant issues. Also, if you are concerned, after you get the bolt out check the hole with a flashlight and mirrow to ensure its dry (I don't think you will have an issue).

I re-tightened my studs after running the motor to temperature twice by loosening each nut 1/8 turn and then tightening to the final torque in the proper sequence. Just be thankful you caught it early.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Launching!

my instructions says 75 ft-lbs for final pass. so what would the torque specs be for the first and second pass?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by some_punk
my instructions says 75 ft-lbs for final pass. so what would the torque specs be for the first and second pass?
The 30 foot pound and 50 foot pound figures given for the 70 foot pound final pass scenario will work, but if you are just doing one bolt at a time I am not sure what the purpose of a first and second pass would be. The original pupose of the multiple-pass procedure, as I understand it, is to mate the block/head surfaces evenly.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do it like this (one bolt at a time):
Originally Posted by vettenuts
by loosening each nut 1/8 turn and then tightening to the final torque in the proper sequence
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got the washers in the wrong locations...don't you need to remove at least 2 bolts at a time to correct that?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
If you've got the washers in the wrong locations...don't you need to remove at least 2 bolts at a time to correct that?
The issue is not location but whether the individual washers are upside down.

Quick Reply: what's with all the different torque specs for arp head bolts?