Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeving cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeving cylinders

I am rebuilding my 1998 5.7 and when took oil pan off, found metal shavings. Ventured a little further and found that the cylinder that was seized also had broken parts on the bottom of the cylinder. Would sleeving fix this or is it a must that I get a new block or motor? I know sleeving can fix cracks but haven't dealt having to do it before.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:14 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

I don’t think the LS1 blocks are sleevable, but I could be mistaken. Contact Steve at Race Engine Development. He’s the master of sleeving anything. Been doing it over 40 years. He’s a site sponsor here. Great guy.
https://www.raceenginesuppliers.com/Suppliers/race-engine-development
760-630-0450
Old 09-06-2021, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Believe the only option for Gen 3's is a wet sleeve with the Darton MID. Most have gotten away from doing that - it's expensive and takes some machining talent to get right. I would say at this point a new (or used longblock) would be the more cost effective option.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-06-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

You can dry sleeve an LS1 depending on the damage.

Wet Sleeves are not recommended on the LS1 due to sealing issues.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I don’t think the LS1 blocks are sleevable, but I could be mistaken. Contact Steve at Race Engine Development. He’s the master of sleeving anything. Been doing it over 40 years. He’s a site sponsor here. Great guy.
https://www.raceenginesuppliers.com/Suppliers/race-engine-development
760-630-0450
Chris which came with me up to your place to pickup that 5.3 is freshening up a '03 LS6 block with Darton wet sleeves. I understood 2nd version(99+) LS1 blocks were actually preferred to LS6 blocks due to the LS6 blocks having the extra ventilation at the bottom of the cylinders making leaks more likely. It has been done but someone posted Darton no longer makes the sleeves. However, I have not confirmed. Steve is the master and has answered questions for us. If you want to sleeve a LS1/6 block he is your best option.

The problem we're having is Steve recommends Evans coolant and a high flow water pump. Evans was bought out and their pump is no longer available, Edelbrock is on back order and we can't find other options which are verified to flow enough. What are you using on your 434? Chris's car is a 427 LS6, AFR heads(likely Mamo'd 225s), FAST 90, and D1SC which will only be making about 9 lbs.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:28 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Chris which came with me up to your place to pickup that 5.3 is freshening up a '03 LS6 block with Darton wet sleeves. I understood 2nd version(99+) LS1 blocks were actually preferred to LS6 blocks due to the LS6 blocks having the extra ventilation at the bottom of the cylinders making leaks more likely. It has been done but someone posted Darton no longer makes the sleeves. However, I have not confirmed. Steve is the master and has answered questions for us. If you want to sleeve a LS1/6 block he is your best option.

The problem we're having is Steve recommends Evans coolant and a high flow water pump. Evans was bought out and their pump is no longer available, Edelbrock is on back order and we can't find other options which are verified to flow enough. What are you using on your 434? Chris's car is a 427 LS6, AFR heads(likely Mamo'd 225s), FAST 90, and D1SC which will only be making about 9 lbs.
Lamar, good to hear from you. I’m running a PRW pump #1434620. It’s a hi-flow pump. I run Peak coolant, the green stuff. Nothing special. I’m dry sleeved, not wet sleeved. I hit up Steve and asked him to jump in here. He will clear everything up as usual.
The following users liked this post:
93Polo (09-09-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Darton has a flanged dry repair sleeve for the LS1 LS6 blocks. Part number 300-024. That sleeve should be seated at the bottom of the sleeve and as well as the flange at the top to make sure it doesn't sink into the deck.

The LS1 was the best of the LS blocks for MID sleeves. The long head bolts tied the block together. They don't leak if properly installed. I have guys claiming 1700 plus horsepower with these blocks and many driven on the street for years with no issues.

Darton no longer makes the MID sleeves since this is now a twenty year old engine. The MID sleeve was the only way to get a large bore with the early LS blocks. The Gen IV and V blocks can be dry sleeved out to 4.185" NA or 4.155" with boost or nitrous. A better deal for a street or street strip engine.

Regarding coolant and pumps. We recommended Evans at the time because many of the MID sleeved engines were for boosted applications. Wet liners can be damaged by cavitation on the exterior surface with mild detonation. Evans coolant doesn't cavitate and so better protects the sleeves. NA regular coolant will work fine.

Evans is no longer interested in making pumps. They were bought out and the guys I knew there are gone. The fellow who designed the Evans pump impellers is a friend of mine. He makes complete Ferrari pumps for me with new castings. He is very busy with other work and may or may not be interested in supplying reworked pumps.

The stock GM pump flows around 55 gallons a minute. That's enough to cool 550 HP. The Evans pump would flow 80 gallons a minute with the stock thermostat and 110 gallons a minute using their external thermostat housing. That's double the flow which is what you want with a thousand plus horsepower engine.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve - Race Eng:
1FastBrick (09-10-2021), 93Polo (09-09-2021), CattleAc (09-08-2021), Che70velle (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Sprint car pump? It would be a jigsaw puzzle to install. but they move water...

Quick Reply: Sleeving cylinders