Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could shimming rockers cause oil burning?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could shimming rockers cause oil burning?

Like the title says. I shimmed my stock rockers on my trickflow 215s .090, 90 thousandths. The car didn't smoke before the head swap.

Any idea if pulling the shims out and going from a 7.55 push rod to a 7.50 will change anything? These heads were ran on a different car with no shims with no problems
Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you apply sealant to the intake rocker arm bolts?

Russ Kemp
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Valve seals and/or guides good????

I ran YT's on my TFS and after a couple breaking I am going back to upgraded stockers even though some (really respected on here) say don't do it and others (really respected on here) say no problem so we will see....

EDIT. To answer your question in the short term I don't think so...
Old 12-16-2011, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Like the title says. I shimmed my stock rockers on my trickflow 215s .090, 90 thousandths. The car didn't smoke before the head swap.

Any idea if pulling the shims out and going from a 7.55 push rod to a 7.50 will change anything? These heads were ran on a different car with no shims with no problems
Not directly but check the rocker to spring clearances and spring to valve seal clearance through the full rocker motion. As stated, seal the intake bolts. Lastly, make sure the seals are still on the guides. I have had them pop off on other cars where they were riding up and down with the valve but not sealing the oil.

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Valve seals and/or guides good????

I ran YT's on my TFS and after a couple breaking I am going back to upgraded stockers even though some (really respected on here) say don't do it and others (really respected on here) say no problem so we will see....

EDIT. To answer your question in the short term I don't think so...
I ran Crane's on my prior set of heads with bronze guides. The wipe on the Cranes is not optimal to say the least and when I pulled the heads there was considerable guide wear. Guess I fall into the camp of YT's with the bronze guides now although I understand your reluctance to re-installing the YT's if you have one break on you.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, shimming the rockers will cause excelerated valve guide and valve tip wear. When you shim the rockers on tfs heads you decrease the sweep pattern which drags the rocker tip over the valve tips which cause wear to valve guides and valve tips. To safley run stock rockers on tfs heads change the valve guides to powdered metal guides and run a 400lb open valve spring (tea gold).

Search this Thread