Sponsored by:

Another 5.3 Turbo Build w/ Questions - Going into an '87 Volvo 740

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 5.3 Turbo Build w/ Questions - Going into an '87 Volvo 740

Hey folks,

Newcomer here at LS1Tech. I'm in the process of piecing together a turbo 5.3 LS build for my '87 Volvo which has had a 350 SBC setup before, with a 700R4.

The motor went south and the car has been sitting since May or so. I picked up a drop-out 5.3 out of a 2004 Silverado with 128k miles on it. Since getting the motor, I've taken off the wiring harness, valve covers, and intake manifold. I am planning on stripping the engine down to the long-block so that I can paint it a metallic-gold flake color.

Anyway, over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of research and still find that I'm still in the baby-stages of putting a parts list together for this build. I'm new to fuel injection, so I'm still figuring out injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, regulator, etc.

I am going to be modifying the stock harness that I have now into a standalone 3-wire-to-run setup. The ECU will be mounted on the firewall, unless the wiring harness is long enough to go elsewhere.

I am planning to go turbo but I haven't even gotten into the stages of picking out turbo, what amount of boost to run, etc. So far, here's how far I've gotten as far as picking out parts:

- Summit Racing 12-gal plastic fuel cell. I'll be mounting this in the trunk and will be looking into ways to route the stock fuel neck from the side of the car into the tank.

- Walbro 255LPH inline fuel pump. This one seemed like a no-brainer to me, as it'll be able to provide the fuel pressures required to handle boost on pump gas.

- Siemens Deka 60lb High Impedance EV6 Fuel Injectors. Again, based on the research I've done, at 80% duty cycle (still learning all these phrases and formulas) these will be the injectors I'll need to handle boosted applications. I will be looking into an alcohol injection kit as well for extra insurance for turning up the boost.

- 2200~2500 Torque Converter. This is the torque converter recommended to me for a nice street performer.

- GM 12624617 Low Profile Oil Pan Kit. Pretty Self Explanatory here.

Now, I'm still trying to figure out what cam to use. I have a mild budget, so I'd like to save bucks where possible. I hear the LS6 cam is the way to go? Are there any other cams out there that will be okay with the stock springs & lifters, but have a more aggressive idle (while still being turbo-friendly)?

What about intake and fuel rail? Can I keep the stock fuel rails and stock truck intake? Depending on how much power an aftermarket or alternative OE intake will provide, I may consider upgrading. From what I've seen, intakes are rather expensive. I'm okay with the truck intake as I'm all about "go" instead of "show", as I know a lot of people upgrade simply based on the fact that the truck intake is ugly.

Once I have those figured out, I'd like to address any supporting mods that I'm leaving out or forgetting about (or don't even know about!), which is where you guys come in. I'm sure y'all have seen dozens of these builds so I hope my questions will be pretty easy.

Please throw out suggestions for turbos, wastegates, BOVs, ECU flashes, etc! I don't have a set-in-stone power goal, but I'd say between 450-600hp as a broad, rough range is what I'd be happy with. I'd like a balance between power and reliability.

I am more than happy to provide any info that I might be forgetting! Just ask! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the truck intake fits the car use it, they are pretty good.

80% duty cycle on injectors is a myth you can go higher.

On the converter I would go higher on the stall get a 9.5" unit from someone like Edge, Yank Vigilante, Circle D. Probably going to be more like 3000 stall but will still drive well.

If the 700R4 is not built I would go ahead and do a 4L60E and enjoy the electronic tuning.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If the truck intake fits the car use it, they are pretty good.

80% duty cycle on injectors is a myth you can go higher.

On the converter I would go higher on the stall get a 9.5" unit from someone like Edge, Yank Vigilante, Circle D. Probably going to be more like 3000 stall but will still drive well.

If the 700R4 is not built I would go ahead and do a 4L60E and enjoy the electronic tuning.
Right on. I'm going hood-less so the intake will have plenty of headroom.

Duly noted regarding the 3000 stall. I'd like to be able to take the car to and from work a few times a month, would 3000 still be low enough to not be miserable to move in slow traffic?

The 700R4 is not built, it's 100% stock. I was planning on selling it along with the rest of my SBC parts, to dump right back into this build.

Good to know about the injector duty cycle as well. I'd like to get my camshaft picked out before I do my first mass-purchase, so once I've gotten it figured out (leaning towards a fresh-grind LS6 cam) I'll be placing my order. Once they arrive I won't be wasting any time getting the parts installed.

I hope to have the motor in the car and have the car run & drive by the 3rd weekend of October. Afterwards, I hope to have the car turbocharged by the week before Thanksgiving.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you run the Ls6 stick then the Comp 915 or PAC equivalent springs should be used to help valve control with the boost. A great budget combo, since your power goals are rather conservative, would be some yellow springs paired with the 02-04 ls1 camshaft. I'd look at the Borg-Warner S470 turbo with .96ar....@10-12lbs. you can easily hit the 600 mark.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What gears and weight?
When my Caprice was a true 20k mile a year daily I had a 2800 stall and 3.42s 27" tire and in daily driver use with spare tire tools etc. it was 4200lbs. without me, some passengers mistook it for stock at low throttle it drove so well. Converters have only gotten better in the decade since then. Get a test drive in a local f-body, think even a 3400 stall will shock you with drivability but no need to go that far for your use.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
If you run the Ls6 stick then the Comp 915 or PAC equivalent springs should be used to help valve control with the boost. A great budget combo, since your power goals are rather conservative, would be some yellow springs paired with the 02-04 ls1 camshaft. I'd look at the Borg-Warner S470 turbo with .96ar....@10-12lbs. you can easily hit the 600 mark.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
What gears and weight?
When my Caprice was a true 20k mile a year daily I had a 2800 stall and 3.42s 27" tire and in daily driver use with spare tire tools etc. it was 4200lbs. without me, some passengers mistook it for stock at low throttle it drove so well. Converters have only gotten better in the decade since then. Get a test drive in a local f-body, think even a 3400 stall will shock you with drivability but no need to go that far for your use.
3.54 open diff, stock Volvo. Car was originally a Turbo car with 4-speed manual w/ push-button overdrive. Car will be roughly 3100 lbs.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Pulling the trigger here in a few, as well as adding a fresh standalone harness. After more research I've concluded that the LS6 cam is a good solid choice -- unless any others speak up with a good budget alternative, of course!

Quick Reply: Another 5.3 Turbo Build w/ Questions - Going into an '87 Volvo 740