Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 oil pan gasket question (rivets and sealant??)

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation LS1 oil pan gasket question (rivets and sealant??)

I swapped all the LS1 swap parts over to my 5.3 block. The oil pan is my issue here...Both engines were clean and dry and when I pulled the pans for the swap the oil pan gaskets on them were riveted on. The LS1 pan looked ready to go right back on with original gasket, I wiped the engine side down and bolted it back together. Now after first time fire up I have a small oil leak neat the filter area. Coming from right near the rivet on the drivers side. Dropped the pan tonight and that rivet looked a little questionable (maybe loose and most likely the issue or area of concern atleast) so I punched the rivets out and ditched the stock gasket.

I bought the Fel-Pro gasket but it didnt come with rivets but the holes are there for them on the new gasket, but I'm sketchy about using rivets again.

Do I absolutely need to run them or can I just go about installing dry or should I silicone/RTV the rivet holes and should I use any RTV/silicone anywhere on the brand new gasket? I have thoroughly clean all surfaces and it is all dry and ready to go for tomorrows install.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Launching!

I used no Rivets Joe , and I run a GM Gasket . It's better than the felpro IMHO , and cost me less.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nope you dont need the rivets or the rtv for that matter. theres just four tiny spots that need not a whole lot of rtv on the pan gasket to block.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Teching In

The Fel-Pro gasket was $48, maybe I'll call GM tomorrow and see what cost is for us at work on a GM part before I go further with this Fel-Pro. Seems the only 2 options were GM part or the Fel-Pro from the searching I did though.

What are the "tiny spots" needing small amounts of RTV? I have read that the corners need it, others say all dry is best, some say do the whole damn gasket lightly just for good measure...confusing to say the least.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just drill the rivets and don't worry about them. The pan gasket shouldn't need any RTV between the pan and the block. We put a small amount in the corners where the front and rear covers meet the pan gasket. Other than that, install it dry. We sell the LS1 GM pan gaskets for $35.99. Let us know if you need one!

Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 oil pan gasket question (rivets and sealant??)