Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

231/237 Cam and PP 5.3 Stage 2 heads installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 231/237 Cam and PP 5.3 Stage 2 heads installed

Well it has been a long weekend. We installed the cam and the heads as well as pacesetter headers. First I wanna thank the guys at tsp as I had a couple questions that they answered. First the pulley puller bolts were wrong and they suggested the water pump bolts and didn't realize I needed a gear puller for the timing chain gear. The pacesetter headers look good but the fitment basically sucks. The driver side is touching the frame so Monday it goes back up on the lift to have that fixed and to fix the y pipe. That is conflicting with my double diamond subframes. Should not be a biggy.

Double checked everythinga and then it was time for fireup. OMG the cam is sick. I did it open headers since the y pipe wouldn't go on and we were using jack stands. My car club had about 20 plus people there and everyone freaked out. the mustang guys were in aww and us fbody guys just were to the sound.

When I left it stumled all over itself throwing codes. I havent autotapped it but I am assuming it is because the open headers and the o2's are throwing the codes. The tune from Jason seems to be running pig rich but I won't be able to tell till Monday night when I hook the exhaust fully up. i will post a video clip of startup tomorrow. It was pretty sick.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zwentbyyou
Well it has been a long weekend. We installed the cam and the heads as well as pacesetter headers. First I wanna thank the guys at tsp as I had a couple questions that they answered. First the pulley puller bolts were wrong and they suggested the water pump bolts and didn't realize I needed a gear puller for the timing chain gear. The pacesetter headers look good but the fitment basically sucks. The driver side is touching the frame so Monday it goes back up on the lift to have that fixed and to fix the y pipe. That is conflicting with my double diamond subframes. Should not be a biggy.

Double checked everythinga and then it was time for fireup. OMG the cam is sick. I did it open headers since the y pipe wouldn't go on and we were using jack stands. My car club had about 20 plus people there and everyone freaked out. the mustang guys were in aww and us fbody guys just were to the sound.

When I left it stumled all over itself throwing codes. I havent autotapped it but I am assuming it is because the open headers and the o2's are throwing the codes. The tune from Jason seems to be running pig rich but I won't be able to tell till Monday night when I hook the exhaust fully up. i will post a video clip of startup tomorrow. It was pretty sick.

glad everything went well with your install...i went to a bigger cam and patriot 5.3's as well this weekend...

about jason's tune running rich...what do you expect with open headers? put some exhaust on it...
Old 02-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
about jason's tune running rich...what do you expect with open headers? put some exhaust on it...
Yea I am in no way saying the tune is bad at all. I have to bottle up the exhaust. Also with the header touching the frame it should be giving me tons of false knock retard and that will to it also.

here is the clip

http://ourz28.com/videochad/BurtalBitchStartsUp.wmv
Old 02-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Launching!

I have the same cam with the ls6 style heads and mine also stumbles alot. I think these cams are very complicated to tune. I have had it tuned twice by a local shop and it still stumbles like crazy. I have full exhaust but it is wide open.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great, I'm getti'n that cam too to match my PP 5.3's.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Grats on the setup. You ever figure out what codes you were throwing?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Grats on the setup. You ever figure out what codes you were throwing?
yea, bank1 and bank2 front o2 heat exchange or something like that. Buddy put the o2's in for the front and he might have switched up front and rears from the old exhaust. Not sure, I will sort it out on tuesday.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Thats what my car sounded like when I first started it (before the y pipe went on).
I love this setup. I replaced stock heads and hotcam with PP 5.3's and PP 231/237.
It's an entirely different car now.

I can't belive how strong the car pulls thru the mid range compared to the hot cam. I wasn't expecting that. The top end is pretty wicked too.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

So what kind of #'s did it put on the dyno/track..
Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I haven't been to either yet.

After I did the install in late December it got real cold and stayed that way until this past weekend. I plan on dyno tuning within the next few weeks. The tracks around here don't open until April.

Quick Reply: 231/237 Cam and PP 5.3 Stage 2 heads installed