Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever break a timing chain doing this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-07-2004, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nice4thgenZ
guess the team doesnt know ****, its not like we havent messed with countless ls1 cars...

we might as well just fly in allan from Futral Motorsports

I appreciate you taking a look and trying to help someone out, nothing was meant toward you personally and dont really see anything that we posted that warrants your hostility.

I have been working with slick98ta through pm and e-mail to resolve his problem. The core from the manufacture could be off in the step nose area and hence caused this problem, nothing that our cam grinder would have done.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

futral is doing a great job just didnt understand the rest of the people in the post. you guys are taking care of this very well!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:28 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by Candy
The core from the manufacture could be off in the step nose area and hence caused this problem, nothing that our cam grinder would have done.
There are only a couple of places that the major cam manufacturers (Comp,etc) purchase their LS1 cores from. This same problem could have happened to anyone one of them as no fault of their own.

I have seen a few LS1 cams do the exact same thing. The cam would not turn with the retainer plate bolted up. Loosen the bolts a little and it would spin fine. Luckily, the problem was caught before the motor was fired up!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just an update for anyone that was following this...
Everything is fine and Candy and Allan from Futral Motorsports took care of it
They have GREAT customer service there!!!

It ended up being the cam and the core was .006 to short,from what he told me.Glad I got it all worked out and had to just go through a few minor set backs.It should be back on the road real soon

thanks
mark
Old 03-23-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have resistance while turning the crank with the heads off there is a PROBLEM that needs to be solved BEFORE you go forward. You need to spin the crank at every step and it should be easy to spin taking valve sping tension into account. The plugs should be out and the crank should spin over without encountering any binding.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I know I did do that. First go around it wouldn,t spin so i knew something was wrong,and that was with the heads off the car.I took the timing chain and gear off because i thought maybe it didn't seat right on the cam.I looked it all over then put it back on and everything seemed fine,it DID turn over freely and easily I guess when I tighten the cam bolts back down to spec it put it back into a bind and I didn't realize this til i try to start it.Wasn't planning on the cam being .006 to short either.I learned the hard way,no big deal