Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darth Vader....Your LSx Stroker is ready!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
Come on, man... You can't be serious... This is a personal project that he has dedicated an incredible amount of time and effort into, and the culmination of YEARS worth of work on these manifolds, and you seriously feel entitled to an inside scoop???

That just blows me away.. "obviously" you..."have some idea".. Then why don't you just buy a tub of epoxy, and rent some time on a flowbench and do your own?

Here's what you should do, feel grateful for the massive amount of FREE, invaluable information he has already posted on this forum, and if you like what you see, get that credit card out and do some business with the man!!! I don't mean to be offensive, and I apologize if I have offended you. Just be reasonable!
Hahaha I agree
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
Come on, man... You can't be serious... This is a personal project that he has dedicated an incredible amount of time and effort into, and the culmination of YEARS worth of work on these manifolds, and you seriously feel entitled to an inside scoop???

That just blows me away.. "obviously" you..."have some idea".. Then why don't you just buy a tub of epoxy, and rent some time on a flowbench and do your own?

Here's what you should do, feel grateful for the massive amount of FREE, invaluable information he has already posted on this forum, and if you like what you see, get that credit card out and do some business with the man!!! I don't mean to be offensive, and I apologize if I have offended you. Just be reasonable!
Tony and I have excahnged pm's in the past about thism he knew i was kidding thats why he said nice try...lol and i said damn you tony.
It was only a joke mate ofcourse people wont share their secrets.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
(I hate threads your waiting on results that just seem to vanish forever!).

Will keep you posted...I think I may start a fresh thread when I post the second wave of results. Fingers crossed but due to the Holidays and all the trade shows, this round of testing may be postponed till early January.

Tony

Yah, we hate it too. It's close to January.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Yah, we hate it too. It's close to January.
Nice....LOL

Guess I deserved that!

I have a new pet project I plan to test with this engine hence the delay (in addition to the heavily modded FAST).

The shortblock is back together with the new piston btw and my cold leakdown on that cylinder is once again 5% like all the others.

Fear not for results are coming....but with the Holidays and downtime at the shop I likely wont be on the dyno till January/February and will resurrect this thread when the time comes and I have results to share.

Hopefully some of the latest mods I have been working on pay off.

We will find out soon enough

Thanks for the bump and the excuse I needed to update my thread.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing to this phenomenal thread!

Curious to see how “Mamofold“ does, haha!
I couldn't imagine how laborious that must've been, but hey, maybe you could get like 3-4# of epoxy into an lsxrt!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

This build thread beggs the question, is this the ultimate street engine?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by aaronj
This build thread beggs the question, is this the ultimate street engine?
Certainly my version there of and of course we would highlight this under the headline of "normally aspirated street engine" which is kind of my thing (I love the challenge and the science behind making BIG power in normally aspirated streetable combo's). Its easy to make big power boosted...much more challenging to do the same N/A and the power delivery/explosiveness of an engine like this has to be experienced to really appreciate it.

A blown engine that produces similar numbers would feel literally lazy in comparison, especially in the lower/middle part of the curve (hoping for 650+ RWHP with a brutal looking torque curve possibly inching close to 600 at the tire.....likely in the high 500's however). Im going to take some really good HD "in car" vids when I get her back together so you guys can better appreciate. The only downside of an engine like this is you can buy a clean C5 for the same price it takes to build an engine of this caliber. Soooo many details and unique parts and machine work to achieve this mad symphony of metal with an insatiable appetite for RPM but power costs money and lots of power costs lots of money....just goes with the turf unfortunately.

Looking forward to getting her back on the dyno next month and more importantly reviving my car from the 4 year nap. Waaaaay too long to be out of the game.....cant wait to be grabbing gears with this new combo fighting traction issues in the first three gears I suspect.

Lots of work ahead to make that happen (including all the driveline upgrades) but its one of my New Year's resolutions! Time is the biggest factor for me....I usually back burner my personal stuff which is one of the reasons why its taken this long but I need to make it happen!

This is me thinking about the last few years without the car.....LOL

-Tony
Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

bad ***.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Looking forward to getting her back on the dyno next month and more importantly reviving my car from the 4 year nap. Waaaaay too long to be out of the game.....cant wait to be grabbing gears with this new combo fighting traction issues in the first three gears I suspect.

-Tony
You really think that youll only have problems with traction in the first 3 gears? LOL

That thing is going to be flat out, NASTY!! Cant wait to see the final numbers!

Hopefully, one day Ill be able to order up an engine from you!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
You really think that youll only have problems with traction in the first 3 gears? LOL

That thing is going to be flat out, NASTY!! Cant wait to see the final numbers!

Hopefully, one day Ill be able to order up an engine from you!
Ditto that. I love the idea of 454 ci. Something like that NA and streetable would be like heaven. Please finish up the project so we can start placing orders for one.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Incredible results Tony. Your "proprietary" efforts in working that FAST appear to be paying off! RWHP #'s should be crazy in a vette.......wish these fbodies had the same fortune in a efficient drivetrain

Good luck with the rest of your project! Big cube N/A, ftw!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Tony what are your thoughts on piston and bearing coatings in a build like this?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by aaronj
Tony what are your thoughts on piston and bearing coatings in a build like this?
I will literally hand sand/massage my engine bearings to not only get the exact clearances I am looking for but also make the "hole" perfectly round (and I also mix and match oversize and undersize shells to get closer to where I need to be).

There isn't an engine Ive featured that hasn't been that way mainly because the main bores of the block are never perfectly round and the bearing shell always follows the shape of the main bores. That being said its impossible to have coated bearings because I would remove some or all of the coating to get my clearances satisfactory.

IMO, the crank should never touch the bearing anyway (in a perfect world) assuming you do have a perfectly round hole with the proper clearance to provide the the proper hydraulic bearing load (of course taking into account the weight of the oil you plan to run).

Let me be clear that I don't have an issue running coating bearings, I just question the value of doing so and once again the way I assemble an engine usually precludes me from running them out of the box anyway. I have built many engines with standard Clevite "H" bearings and have had the opportunity to take some of them apart (for "upgrades" usually).....most of the time I can hit them with a fine scotchbrite pad, wipe them clean and reinstall them right back in the engine....that's impressive IMO without the use of a "trick" bearing of any kind. IMO the proper sizing of a bearing is more important that the type of bearing or whether you coat it or not.

Regarding pistons I do normally run coated skirts....that allows me to more easily size the piston for each cylinder by controlling the size of the skirts (manually hand sanding the thickness of the coating from each skirt). This allows me to size each piston to each hole....even the best of machinists (and machines) can only hone a cylinder to certain tolerances and aluminum blocks are the trickiest to machine.....they grow and shrink alot during the honing process from temperature. When your really detail oriented and looking for four decimal places its amazing what can effect your final results.

Dome and chamber coating....IMO save your money unless your building an Engine Masters engine and a couple of ft/lbs of torque could potentially make the difference. I have seen a fair amount of independent feedback from this work and the results are usually all similar....that being really really hard to tell whether any real benefit was provided.

I'm all about investing the money in areas where it counts....better heads, manifolds, lighter weight parts, etc. but IMO going crazy on coatings is an area of very little return. I do like it on piston skirts though because they live a really rough life and coatings can extend that life helping the piston glide up and down the cylinder a bit easier and require slightly less oil to do so.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-09-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I love your reply's Tony. Thanks for goin the extra mile and explaining your thought process behind your answers.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate the info; this is what the forums are all about. I think there are about a thousand more questions about this build I could ask hahaha.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

wow... that would look great in my impala nice work...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in with the rest, waiting to see your results brutha !
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Nice Tony.

Is that a GZ VACUUM PUMP ? Do you always run them on your big cube motors ?

Pitt
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice engine I need one of those,very informative thread and really good info for my next build.

Quick Reply: Darth Vader....Your LSx Stroker is ready!!