Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 PCV catch can?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 PCV catch can?

i have been having major oil lose in my 98 ls1 camaro needed a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks, it has some work done to it..-LS1 V8 (Factory)
-T56 Tremec 6 Speed (Factory)
-LS6 Ported & Polished Heads
-LS6 Oil Pump
-Comp Cam-high lift
-Chromolly Push Rods
-Honed Injectors
-Roller Rockers
-long tube with x-pipe droped off at the real axle
-K&N Ram Intake
-Upgrader Clutch and Flywheel Kit
-Dyno'd at 426WHP
...etc..
would getting a PCV catch can help me at all with this issue i looked at my intake today it has 2 hoses off the TB one on the bottem tat just runs around the back of the intake into the right side valve cover and the one on top just runs to the front of my left side cover. there is absalutly no leaks anywhere and recently had to replace a valve and all my springs due to a spring exploding and there was alot of carbon build up inside on the valves. i always run 93 grade so..but anyways wat is causing the oil guzzle and will a catch can help? Pic of the motor.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 PCV catch can?-k-n-intake.jpg  
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yours is a 98 as mine is,, Ours did not have the improved LS6 pcv system, with a special valley tray. If you have no leaks under your car, then your oil is more than likely going into the engine through the intake. A catch can will not help your oil consumption problem, but it will help keep the oil out of the intake, and the chambers. If you remove your throttle body, take a flashlight and look into the intake, I bet you see a considerable amount of oil.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I have a 98 that was doing the same thing before I spun a bearing. Would the LS6 intake fix this problem?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedLed
I have a 98 that was doing the same thing before I spun a bearing. Would the LS6 intake fix this problem?
No,, swapping intakes will not fix a thing, except give you a lil more HP over the stock LS1 intake.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

anyone got any other ideas or things i should check also checked inside the motor and all there is no milky residue so its not a gasket leak..also when i had to replace the springs and valve i used felpro gaskets so i should b good inside the motor as leaking wise..so im just lost..it does smoke on cold days and if u hammer the gas it will blow out a cloud of smoke at least my friend told me when we raced his mustang it did when i hit 2nd gear. im just lost on where its going. i will check in the intake when i get a chance.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Did you use thread sealant on the rocker arm bolts? Does your car smoke any?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Yes I did, Mourning and cold start it smokes alittle once warmed up it will stop and not smoke at all even without cats or egr, but like I said if I'm driving and slam the gas it will blow out a cloud of smoke but not keep smoking if I keep on the pedal, just a one time puff.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DBShocker
anyone got any other ideas or things i should check also checked inside the motor and all there is no milky residue so its not a gasket leak..also when i had to replace the springs and valve i used felpro gaskets so i should b good inside the motor as leaking wise..so im just lost..it does smoke on cold days and if u hammer the gas it will blow out a cloud of smoke at least my friend told me when we raced his mustang it did when i hit 2nd gear. im just lost on where its going. i will check in the intake when i get a chance.
Do a compression test, that will tell you what condition the engine is in,, how many miles on it? If it is using that much oil, It is either going by the valve seals, or the rings, or both is my best guess. Also never believe for one minute that using a name brand part will garauntee anything.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Has 84,500 miles
Old 10-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Just picked up a 1998 LS1 that has a Rev Xtreme catch can on it. After doing some research on it I see that it's really common for these engines to need one. Has this design flaw ever been actually fixed by anyone?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Does it smoke any on decel? I had a similar problem after my H/C swap. Turns out my valve seals were toast. It would smoke when I started it and after a decel on a WOT run.

You might want to pull some spark plugs and see if there are any oil covered. About 1/2 of my seals were destroyed and two spark plugs were oil soaked.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Honestly i cant tell if there is any smoke on Decel because of the way my exhaust is set up, dosent come out the back of the car it stops at the rear axle under the car. id imagine not cuz no one has ever said anything except when i put the pedal down all the way. when i pull the plugs they are kinda carboned up but not oily.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I just figured out my cam is a custom comp cam with 580 lift and 239 duration
Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

so does anyone have any other ideas as to what to check??
Old 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

ok my car is really starting to act up latly not liking to sit for a couple days and running like **** with almost no power til after a minute, im thinking the oil and carbon build up is starting to get to it and build back up because i did have all the valves and everything cleaned off when i had the top end and heads off, but i think its starting to build back up so what is the best catch can that they make for the ls1 motor with 430rwhp some mods?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Try Elite Engineering. Steve was the person that helped me out.

I bought one of their catch cans for my 79 Vette.

The cans are beautiful and functional. The were so helpful trying to get the right brackets. I had to be creative, but the install came out nice.

Most importantly...it works! I emptied the can once already and it's amazing how much oil would have been forced through the intake without the can.

www.eliteengineeringusa.com

Chuck M
Mailhot Motorsports Racing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 PCV catch can?