Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a 5.3 crank into a 6.0L. Any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a 5.3 crank into a 6.0L. Any issues?

I just picked up a 2000 LQ4 6.0L that has spun a Rod bearing. The Crank looks like it is probably not salvageable. I have a 5.3 short block with super low miles that I am parting out and would like to use the Crank and One of the Rods to repair the 6.0L. I understand the Crank will physically fit as the bearing journals are the same and the stroke is the same. Is there a big issue with balance to the Pistons and Rods? I was hoping to get away with installing the Crank without balancing. The 6.0L crank I have is the .400" extended version for the flywheel/flexplate mounting but that wont be an issue as it is a retrofit install in my 55' Chevy. Are the 5.3 and 6.0 rods the same? I can't seem to find part numbers to compare. I know the length is the same. Can I just do a single Rod swap or do I need to swap the set? I would like to build this engine on a tight budget to get the car going and work on something a little meaner later. Thanks for any insight.
Greg
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Rods are same, Crankshafts are the same. I wouldn't be worried about balancing, just make sure the 5.3 crank has the reluctor ring you need
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Teching In

just make sure the 5.3 crank has the reluctor ring you need
I am OK there. Both are 24x cranks. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Installing a 5.3 crank into a 6.0L. Any issues?