Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Got lucky. I could see it and grabbed it with $3 pen mag. I'll be returning the rest of the magnet tools. Now I cracked the front cover. This install is cursed and haunted.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by deejaydaze View Post
Now I cracked the front cover. This install is cursed and haunted.
Glad you got the bolt.
"This install is cursed and haunted." I too, have been going around in circles for months.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Again I have you guys to thank. I got to it this morning and shined some light in there after lowering the pan as much as I could (a little more than before) I saw the bolt staring me in the face. I used a $3 pen magnet and got it! I just came from the tool store with $50 worth of different magnets lol. I'll be taking that crap back!

So now I'm passed the crankshaft issue and the pickup tube bolt issue and what do you know issue number 3! I was following the Oil Pump Swap on ls1howto.com which stated to put the pan on first then the front cover (the same way I took it off). The front 2 pan bolts to cover didn't quite line up. It was a tiny bit off. I didn't really force the bolt in. I'm not one to force things. The timing cover didn't quite flatten to the block and I mean millimeters off. I didn't think anything of it. When I torqued the cover bolts to 18 lbs the freaking cover cracked!

I tell ya it's one thing after another. This install is haunted and cursed!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Again I have you guys to thank. I got to it this morning and shined some light in there after lowering the pan as much as I could (a little more than before) I saw the bolt staring me in the face. I used a $3 pen magnet and got it! I just came from the tool store with $50 worth of different magnets lol. I'll be taking that crap back!

So now I'm passed the crankshaft issue and the pickup tube bolt issue and what do you know issue number 3! I was following the Oil Pump Swap on ls1howto.com which stated to put the pan on first then the front cover (the same way I took it off). The front 2 pan bolts to cover didn't quite line up. It was a tiny bit off. I didn't really force the bolt in. I'm not one to force things. The timing cover didn't quite flatten to the block and I mean millimeters off. I didn't think anything of it. When I torqued the cover bolts to 18 lbs the freaking cover cracked!

I tell ya it's one thing after another. This install is haunted and cursed!!
Did you put spacers on the pump for a double roller? If so the pump could be hitting the cover.

Slow down and take your time, make sure everything is clean and lines up perfect before you start bolting things together, sounds like you are getting in a hurry and that is making things take much much longer.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

I swear it does sound like I'm in a hurry, but I'm not. I was until I hit the crankshaft issue then I slowed it down big time. As far as this timing cover, I can see where I messed up, but I was following the instructions to a T.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Texas Speed Long block which I'm sure came with the LS6 pump. I'm putting in the SLP one. I don't think there is a difference in clearance
Old 11-14-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a Texas Speed Long block which I'm sure came with the LS6 pump. I'm putting in the SLP one. I don't think there is a difference in clearance
When doing things like this, you should know

I can't tell you because I haven't researched it, but some pumps are different, some need to be spaced for the chain etc.. I would check into it to be sure.

Glad you got the problems fixed, hope you have some better luck with it!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Yup. I agree. My tech has been involved with LT1's and LSx for about 13 years now. It's the pump he told me to order. Thanks for the luck. I'm telling you it's cursed!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Angry

Broke the 2nd timing cover. SLP did not grind down enough on the pump as you can see in the picture. So there is a clearance issue with the slp oil pump and the stock timing cover. This is why it is cracking. It cracked in the same place and you can see the marks in the same place. I'll be calling them tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal-pump.jpg   Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal-imag1126.jpg   Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal-imag1127.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Did you put spacers on the pump for a double roller? If so the pump could be hitting the cover.

Slow down and take your time, make sure everything is clean and lines up perfect before you start bolting things together, sounds like you are getting in a hurry and that is making things take much much longer

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
When doing things like this, you should know I can't tell you because I haven't researched it, but some pumps are different, some need to be spaced for the chain etc.. I would check into it to be sure. Glad you got the problems fixed, hope you have some better luck with it!
Yup. I agree. My tech has been involved with LT1's and LSx for about 13 years now. It's the pump he told me to order. Thanks for the luck. I'm telling you it's cursed!
Broke the 2nd timing cover. SLP did not grind down enough on the pump as you can see in the picture. So there is a clearance issue with the slp oil pump and the stock timing cover. This is why it is cracking. It cracked in the same place and you can see the marks in the same place. I'll be calling them tomorrow.
I actually laughed a little when I saw this... sorry about the "bad luck" but now you're doing it to yourself.

I would imagine there was information on this somewhere in the SLP paperwork so again... slow down and check things, the cover should sit flat and flush with no problems. I would use a melling or LS6 oil pump anyway, send that SLP pump back...

I found this in less than 2 minutes by using a search by the way.
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst.../847-55001.pdf

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-15-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Nope. Called SLP and they goofed. They are sending me a machined timing cover. It's rare, but it happens with single roller too.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Nope. Called SLP and they goofed. They are sending me a machined timing cover. It's rare, but it happens with single roller too.
Okay well that just flat sucks and i'm glad they are taking care of you, do you have spacers on the pump it's hard to tell in the picture but it looks like they are on there.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

I see what you mean though. I thought the first time was my error since the instructions on LS1howto.com said oil pan first, then timing cover. It was slightly off on the bottom bolt like I mentioned but I didn't think it would make a difference and it didn't.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

No spacers at all on the pump.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

No spacers at all on the pump.
Okay good sounds like you got it all fixed up. So are they sending you one of those bad *** two piece covers or just a clearanced cover?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Just a clearanced cover. Said it will go out today. NJ to FL should have it Friday.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Just a clearanced cover. Said it will go out today. NJ to FL should have it Friday.
Cool, hope the rest of it goes better for you man, sucks you had to find out this way, SLP should have put that on the instruction sheet that the machining could be an issue so you don't get into that situation.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Knowing my dumb *** there is a yellow and red flashing light inside the box with a button you push to hear...."Attn idiots, make sure this thing CLEARS"
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Knowing my dumb *** there is a yellow and red flashing light inside the box with a button you push to hear...."Attn idiots, make sure this thing CLEARS"

Not a 'dumb ***', at all.
This is the wonderful world of car parts, where 3 of the experts swear that something fits. You buy based on a recommendation, but the experts left one thing out.
It's happened to me several times.
How can something so haphazard lead to so much joy?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Hey,

Thanks man. Just an update here. I received the timing cover Friday however it is the wrong cover and it was machined in wrong place. It is an LS2 timing cover. I needed an LS1 timing cover. The area that was machined was incorrect and would have broke a third timing cover. I'm surprised that the wrong one was sent with incorrect machining after the troubles I've been through. As you know, I broke 2 covers with this install. Since I am behind schedule, I went ahead purchased a new cover from the dealership and machined it myself.

^^Told SLP that on the phone. They are getting with their engineers.

They should just give me $100 that I spent on the right cover. We'll see

Oil pressure is still low. Barely above red when idling hot, 32~35 a bit over 5 grand, and below 40 when cold. At this point I'm going to install a mechanical gauge and get a true reading. I could also swap gauge clusters with a friend. Unless the wiring to the sensor are bad? Mech gauge will clear that up.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!

If mechanical gauge shows low pressure I'm screwed. Prolly replacing bearings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: