Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal - Page 4 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Reload this Page >

Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Teching In

ugh. good luck dude. Thanks for the write up on
Old 11-21-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't sound like bad luck to me at all. You sound dangerous with a set of tools.

You sure the oil pump pickup tube's o-ring is seated properly? When I say "sure", I don't actually mean "think".
Old 11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

That's the internet for you. Sounds can be deceiving. I am not dangerous at all. If I were dangerous I wouldn't have even be making threads here. It is bad luck to me. I haven't done most of this work before, but at least I'm in there trying to figure it out, ask questions, and learn from mistakes. I know that my oil pressure is low and that it's "dangerous" to have low oil pressure. I've been monitoring it for months.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

I could see your point about the o-ring, but why would it have just one day become unseated?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

By "sound", I didn't mean the inflection of your voice. I was referring to the facts you provided. Sounds like a tough car project. I sympathize with you on that. However, the stories you've told us indicate you haven't been completely meticulous. :thumbs:

It hasn't happened to me but I seem to recall reports of the o-ring failing after a couple of hundred miles. Perhaps it was pinched/wedged and worked its way out after so many heat cycles.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Tech,

I'm just frustrated and I over think things too much. Thanks for the sympathy. The crankshaft and pickup tube bolt are my errors/mistakes. The cover I blame SLP.

SLP called me to tell me to sell the timing cover they sent on ebay. I think that's ridiculous
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deejaydaze View Post
Tech,

I'm just frustrated and I over think things too much. Thanks for the sympathy. The crankshaft and pickup tube bolt are my errors/mistakes. The cover I blame SLP.

SLP called me to tell me to sell the timing cover they sent on ebay. I think that's ridiculous
You can't trust aftermarket parts. I would be PO'd at SLP for the first cover, but you noticed the problem and still torqued the cover down (that makes you just as negligent). The 2nd cover is nobodies fault but your own, buddy. Live and learn. I'm not trying to bust your *****.. just sayin.. cars are expensive toys. It's best to be slow and meticulous. You should have to found out why the cover wasn't fully seated before torquing it down (both times).
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

No argument there my friend. Thanks for putting things in perspective. I have learned a lot with the exception of why oil pressure is still low. What do you think about installing the mechanical gauge first? A lot easier than checking the o ring.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

No argument there my friend. Thanks for putting things in perspective. I have learned a lot with the exception of why oil pressure is still low. What do you think about installing the mechanical gauge first? A lot easier than checking the o ring.
I've only had one sending unit fail on me and it made the gauge peg high. I wouldn't run the engine any more than I have to.

Have you already checked your oil for metal particulate?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

LS1's do have a know issue with the oil pressure gauge though. Tons of threads on this.

I've got a little bit of oil to check for that. I'm glad I didn't dump it at the parts store yet!

I could lift this motor high enough to replace the rod and crank bearings with the PA K-Member which is a good thing to know.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Well I've got it the mechanical gauge installed above the filter and still low pressure. 41 psi idle cold. After 10 min heating up gradual fall to 18 psi. Couple throttle blips goes to 58psi. That's with 10w-30 and then again with straight 40 sae. I'm not sure Wtf to do.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:58 PM

Default What engine or size crank bolt

To all my lovely friends who have been helping me,

Good and bad news.

The Grainger tap worked perfect and I got the pulley off as well.

I was millimeters away from starting the oil pump to pick up tube. I dropped it 4 times and had a rag stuffed in there. Each time I was able to get the bolt. On the 5th try I didn't realize the rag slipped and now the bolt rolled into the pan.

I have the PA Kmember but I guess I have to lift the motor to remove the pan right??
I have a 2009 yukon 5.3 I. Strip my harmonic balancer bolt hole will this tap work on my applications thank u
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's been 7 years since this thread ended last. You really think he'll answer?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 PM

Default Haha

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
did see that time just trying to find help .
Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone might chime in. Might take some time, so be patient.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Hey Ls1yukon! Sorry to hear you have the same troubles. I wish I knew the answer but I don't. I would take the balancer bolt and match it to a tap. If your bolt is chewed up then get an exact same balancer bolt from GM and match it up with a tap. Then you can do what I did if you want to try it out. I'm not sure how damaged yours is. Take your time and be safe. Don't rush like I was.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
He did indeed!
Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post

He did indeed!
Sure did! A rare moment on LS1Tech! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: