LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1485183-tap-die-crankshaft-threads-rookie-mistake-w-crank-pulley-removal.html)

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 12:59 AM

Tap and die crankshaft threads? Rookie mistake w/ crank pulley removal

It is way late. I shouldn't have been working on the car. I was removing the crank pulley. I removed the crank bolt and never put it back in. I used a 1/2 inch extension and pulley puller to remove my crank pulley. Ended up eating 2 or 3 threads and now the crank bolt threads will not start. If I could just start the bolt I'd be happy. Any suggestions or am I fucked and have to replace the crank??? Please help. All my car buddies have gfs now :/

82cetuner 11-10-2011 01:52 AM

just re thread it with a tap and die

farmington 11-10-2011 08:31 AM

technically you need to run a tap into the hole. make sure you have the correct diameter AND pitch.

82cetuner 11-10-2011 08:42 AM

yeah i know you use the tap but you usually have to buy the tap and die in a set, and yes make sure you got the right diamiater and pitch for sure.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What about using a helicoil?

Thank you for all the replies. You can kind of see the rusty pic is a stock crank and the god awful crank threads in the other.

vettenuts 11-10-2011 12:57 PM

The threads on the crank are quiet long, I would try to save what you have before resorting to drilling and tapping. More risk there.

remauto1187 11-10-2011 01:24 PM

If only the first 2-3 threads are gone just run a tap to chase the threads and get your starter thread created on the 3rd to 4th thread down. Like the others said the crank bolt is long and the threads go into the crank deep.

Would not mess with a heli coil on a crank at all!

You can buy a tap without buying the matching die.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 01:24 PM

You are right. Only about an inch of thread. About 11-13 threads by looking at the bolt. I've completely lost 2.5 threads already. My hope is to tap only about 3 threads in. Obviously it won't like up right unless I get super lucky.

During my lunch I laid the bolt back in (not threaded of course), started the jaw puller. Since the balancer bolt will not thread, it just starts to chew more threads. I stopped instantly as not to do more damage. Looks like I will need a REALLY fucking deep tap and die.

Bluestreak 11-10-2011 01:49 PM

Call a professional machine shop and explain the situation. Rather than try anything else, running a tap, or otherwise risking more damage, get an expert diagnosis and see what can be done to repair the situation now.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 01:57 PM

Yeah I've called one machine shop and they won't touch it unless the engine is out of the car.

Bluestreak 11-10-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by deejaydaze (Post 15607890)
Yeah I've called one machine shop and they won't touch it unless the engine is out of the car.

Then you have your answer. If they're willing, that means it can be repaired. Not the answer I know you wanted, but... to quote a friend, "do it right, or do it twice."

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 03:35 PM

Meaning they are a machine shop not a repair shop. I know the guy personally and he told me to go ahead and tap it. I know there are morons out there that think they can do their own work and can't. I'm decent with tools and not the guy that does things twice lol. I need to find the right size shit now.

This thread shows the bolt is m16x2x103mm

remauto1187 11-10-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by deejaydaze (Post 15607791)
You are right. Only about an inch of thread. About 11-13 threads by looking at the bolt. I've completely lost 2.5 threads already. My hope is to tap only about 3 threads in. Obviously it won't like up right unless I get super lucky.

During my lunch I laid the bolt back in (not threaded of course), started the jaw puller. Since the balancer bolt will not thread, it just starts to chew more threads. I stopped instantly as not to do more damage. Looks like I will need a REALLY fucking deep tap and die.

You don't need a die, only the tap. A die is used to create or repair external threads. IE: a bolt. A die is used for cutting or chasing internal threads. Just buy the tap. Take your bolt with you to match up to make sure you get the right size.
You can do all this yourself. You fkd it up...now fix it! You can do it! :cheers: Just keep that tap square with the hole in the crank and it will guide itself. You are only chewing through 1 boogered up lead thread. After that, the rest of the threads will guide the tap for the chase. Go slow and it would help to use some cutting oil, wd40, lps or whatever.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 04:04 PM

LOL remauto. Yup I know I only need a tap. I need a long ass one because the pulley is still on! Def major waterdevelopment40!!

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 06:50 PM

Well. I'm looking for a long enough tap now. Seems hard to find M16 x 2 that is long enough to reach since the crank is still on. Fml

S10xGN 11-10-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by deejaydaze (Post 15608939)
Well. I'm looking for a long enough tap now. Seems hard to find M16 x 2 that is long enough to reach since the crank is still on. Fml

I'm not seeing your problem, tap "length" has nothing to do with it. If you're worried about turning the tap, use an appropriate 8 or 12 pt socket on a ratchet.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 08:48 PM

Well, the crank pulley is still on. The bolt length is 102mm with just the last inch grabbing threads plus the distance from bolt head to front of the pulley. Most 14mm x 2 taps I see don't look long enough. I just have a lot of anxiety right now that's all.

AAIIIC 11-10-2011 09:58 PM

You actually don't want a tap, you want a thread chaser. Taps cut new threads, chasers clean/repair existing damaged threads.

deejaydaze 11-10-2011 11:48 PM

I was also thinking that as well. Now if there are no threads in the beginning to start (first few threads) how will a chaser work??

mightybird 11-11-2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by deejaydaze (Post 15606143)
It is way late. I shouldn't have been working on the car. I was removing the crank pulley. I removed the crank bolt and never put it back in. I used a 1/2 inch extension and pulley puller to remove my crank pulley. Ended up eating 2 or 3 threads and now the crank bolt threads will not start. If I could just start the bolt I'd be happy. Any suggestions or am I fucked and have to replace the crank??? Please help. All my car buddies have gfs now :/

get a stock crank bolt and take a die grinder and cut some slits in it its worked for me and try that its worked for me in the past.