Any issues with cutting down a truck windage tray to use with an f-body pan? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III Internal Engine
Reload this Page >

Any issues with cutting down a truck windage tray to use with an f-body pan?

Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues with cutting down a truck windage tray to use with an f-body pan?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Any issues with cutting down a truck windage tray to use with an f-body pan?

I didn't realize it until last night, but the used f-body oil pan I bought didn't have a windage tray. I could just to buy one if it matters, but my question is, does it? The truck pan has some oil drainage vents that the f-body pan doesn't have, but is that a negative? If anything, won't it help with oil drain back? Are there any reasons not to use the cut down truck windage tray? This is my truck tray cut down to work with the f-body pan:

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

i have both and after comparing them they look near identical to me other than length,as long as its not making contact with the crank or any other parts it looks like it would be fine to me,extra drains shouldnt hurt anything either
Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

I have done this before and it works fine.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered an f-body pan at the dealer yesterday. It was only $20
Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I ordered an f-body pan at the dealer yesterday. It was only $20
I realize this is an old post, but I am having the same issue. Mine is from a 03' trailblazer 5.3 LM4 and I am wondering what the difference is between the two bondage trays? I bought the Holley pi L pan 302-2 pan with the double step. The front of my wimdage tray hit the first step of the pan and wondering how the f-body pan GM part# 12558253 is any different.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know if this will help but its Holley's instruction link which shows pics of the F body windage tray on the 302-2 pan and where to cut.
https://documents.holley.com/199r10566rev8.pdf
Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

I ended up ordering a compatible crank scraper and windage tray from improved racing.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I didn't realize it until last night, but the used f-body oil pan I bought didn't have a windage tray. I could just to buy one if it matters, but my question is, does it? The truck pan has some oil drainage vents that the f-body pan doesn't have, but is that a negative? If anything, won't it help with oil drain back? Are there any reasons not to use the cut down truck windage tray? This is my truck tray cut down to work with the f-body pan:

I did the exact same thing here. I don't see any issue why this would be problem either. The front of that pan is like an inch and a half from the crank and you aren't going to get any foaming from this being this close in my opinion. I'm just gonna run it like this and see what happens.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys that do engine swaps with truck LS ,have more experience modify pans and windage trays. Example if you shorten a truck pan it's common to have to modify the pickup tube thus having to trim back windage tray. I would move this thread to hybrids and conversions .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any issues with cutting down a truck windage tray to use with an f-body pan?

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: