Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 f-body cam in Z71 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 f-body cam in Z71 5.3?

I've got some spare parts from my 99 SS that I'd like to put to use (assuming it makes sense). Among other things, I've got a spare LS6 intake (not for sale) and a factory 99 LS1 (f-body) cam. Does anyone have an opinion on using these in a truck (Z71 - 4WD extended cab) 5.3? I'm not looking to make the trunk fast (I've got the SS for that) I'd just like to use them in the truck if there's an improvement to be had. I don't mind the labor one bit but I really don't want to spend any $$ on new parts...
Old 03-19-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck intake is a very good design. Lots of people would put them on F-bodies, but they don't fit under the cowl. As far as that goes, the truck intake and cam are designed to provide low-end torque to do the things that trucks are made for. Towing etc.. If you put the cam and intake in, you truck would prolly be kinda slouchy in the lower RPMs due to the fact that it is trying pull a heavy *** truck around with no low-end power. We did a ported heads/LS-6 cam/ and a powerdyne blower on my cousins 4.8 ltr truck and it worked out great, but I don't think you want to spend that kinda money.