Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with some build ideas....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with some build ideas....

Ok, so the motor in my 05 CTS-V went out this week, and I am trying to decide what option to take as far as rebuilding. I drive the car probably half the time, so its not 100% DD car. I dont really race the car, but I love being able to drive the car, and decide to romp on it at any time. So I am wanting to go all motor, not juicing it at all. I'm not wanting to go completely crazy on the build. I just cant stand to spend the money on rebuilding it and leaving it exactly as is, I fell like I'm wasting it.

So what are some ideas for the motor on rebuild?

leave it the same bore, but forge the bottom end so its stronger?

Maybe stroke it out to a 402 or 408?

What are your thoughts? and what would it take to do that?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, If your gonna get in it, You might as well throw as many cubic inches that you can at it. Get good forged parts and have the piece of mind knowing that it will hold the power.. Hope you know when you build a good stout engine, there is alot more to follow it, Drivetrain, Suspension, ETC..
Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Personally, If your gonna get in it, You might as well throw as many cubic inches that you can at it. Get good forged parts and have the piece of mind knowing that it will hold the power.. Hope you know when you build a good stout engine, there is alot more to follow it, Drivetrain, Suspension, ETC..
ya, that drivetrain has me a little worried....the car already has LS7 clutch/slave, and I think those should be good to hold it as long as I dont go too crazy with it. I am worried about the rear end, as these are notoriously weak, and thats another reason I dont want to go absolutely crazy as well
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You could go cam n heads and add probably 100 hp for something like an extra $1000 and hopefully would'nt tear too much up at least not right away .