Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some QUICK advice... any help appreciated

Old 03-22-2004, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some QUICK advice... any help appreciated

my bf took the intake out of the car to check out his heads, and when he was through and put everything back together, he went to start the car and it was idling rough and when he revved up the car he thought he heard a clink/clanking sound....

he said the clanking really wasn't a fast paced thing...

could a 10mm socket fit under the intake valve if he perhaps dropped one in the car by accident... what would be the easiest way to found out if it did go under the valve besides pulling the heads off? or is that the only way?

he has double springs and he said it sounding like it was coming from the back of the motor...

he got one of those strong magnet tools that kinda looks like a pen and put it in each intake port and didn't get any shavings and looked at the intake with a mirror and checked them all out and he didn't see anything...

anything else this might be besides maybe dropping a tool in there... thanks for any advice
Old 03-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt a 10 mm socket would make it past a intake valve. If the valve lift is 0.500, that's a gap of about 12.5 mm, which is less than the overall size of a 10 mm socket for a 3/8" drive.

Did he check for a broken spring? He may have to pull the heads if he can't see anything under the valve covers. Or I think some shops have a tool called bore scope that could look in spark plug holes.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

well mostly today we were kinda busy but when he was working and looking, i think his main concern was checking to make sure a tool wasn't in there...

could a spring have broken just from removing the intake?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

No, removing the intake couldn't ever break a spring, but he may be listening more carefully now since he's had it taken appart. It's amazing the sounds you hear after you work on a engine. Unless the sound is really obvious, it was probably already there. May want to check the oil level; the lifters can make a sound like that when the oil is realy low.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
No, removing the intake couldn't ever break a spring, but he may be listening more carefully now since he's had it taken appart. It's amazing the sounds you hear after you work on a engine. Unless the sound is really obvious, it was probably already there. May want to check the oil level; the lifters can make a sound like that when the oil is realy low.
hmm..... well he has been having some trouble with an oil leak lately... he tried to fix it because it was leaking from the timing chain gasket but he didn't, so now he is going to fix it the "right" way by removing the waterpump etc.... last time he just tried to be easier on himself and take a shortcut

hm... thanks for the help, i will relay this message on and tell him to check the oil level/pressure...

thanks, melissa
Old 03-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

The crank seal in the timing cover will leak if the bolts are tightened without the pulley in place. It has to self-center on the pulley because the bolt holes have some lee-way. He may already know about this, but it would hurt to mention it. LS1 timing cover gaskets are a high-tech O-ring type and usually don't leak.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
The crank seal in the timing cover will leak if the bolts are tightened without the pulley in place. It has to self-center on the pulley because the bolt holes have some lee-way. He may already know about this, but it would hurt to mention it. LS1 timing cover gaskets are a high-tech O-ring type and usually don't leak.
well MTI said they think we may have gotten a bad gasket

thanks for all of your help!

any other of what the noise could be?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

It could be caused be a loose rocker arm bolt or a bent push rod if the sound is at half the speed of the engine.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help, and it doesnt sound like it is a constant sound either, between my car being loud, it ideling like crazy and wigging out and me not wanting to run it longer than i have to , i cant really hear it while im doin it by myself

someone said it could be a vacuum leak because i have the vacuum modulator on... but like i said its not constant i dont think, and its really only when it revs up!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
thanks for the help, and it doesnt sound like it is a constant sound either, between my car being loud, it ideling like crazy and wigging out and me not wanting to run it longer than i have to , i cant really hear it while im doin it by myself

someone said it could be a vacuum leak because i have the vacuum modulator on... but like i said its not constant i dont think, and its really only when it revs up!!!
Is the sound not constant or is the surging not constant? My guess would be a vacuum leak since you took off the intake. But I don't know what the sound could be.

Search this Thread