Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure and metalic noise coming from under ds valve cover..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low oil pressure and metalic noise coming from under ds valve cover..

Can you please describe the symptoms of a spun bearing. What I am dealing with is car will start and idle if I give it a little gas. The oil pressure is about 15-20 at 1k idle rpm. I am hearing a a metalic noise coming from underneathe the driverside valvecover. This started last nigt after a pass at the track. The oil pressure dropped to about 10 and the car stalled at the 1000ft mark. Would anything beside a spun bearing give me the above symptoms?

Gilbert
Old 04-05-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There could also be something wrong with your oil pump. If you have too low of oil pressure your lifters will make a loud clacking noise.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:43 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah and you could have a lifter that locked up or come apart, don't forget your rockers also and as far as the oil presure that leads me to think bearing also, but start simple like pull the valve cover and look at every thing and then work your way down until you find it. 98's had a history of pump not being the best so who knows. I cant remember if you changed the oil pump with the cam ETC... or not? Could be a lot of things. Call me if yo need some help or advise Gilbert.
Jeff
Old 04-05-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks alot guys. Today is a long day work, a funeral, and class tonight. I had half a mind to remove the valve cover last night when I made it home but the other half was already asleep. Jeff thanks for the offer if it is a spun bearing I will be on the look out for a short block either forged or completely stock.

Gilbert
Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the valve cover off a few minutes ago and nothing seems out of the ordinary. The heads came with the Patriot dual gold springs and they seem to be ok. Befor I took the valve cover off i popped the hood and started looking for leaks or anything out of the ordinary. I started the car and the car idled at 1k and oil pressure was between 30-40 I heard a vacuum leak and noticed that the hose that goes into my brake booster was loose. I pluged the hose back in and the car started idling rough. I tried to crank it again and it wouldn't unles I held the throttle at around 1.4k rpms. I disconnected the hose to seee if it would turn over without pressing the gas but it wouldn't. The only time I am hearing a metalic noise is if I let the car idle and it starts to die. As soon as the car starts idling at around 600rpms the oil pressure drops to about 10 and the valvetrain gets louder ( normal I guess if it isn't getting oil)

My problem right now is I cant get the car to idle.

Gilbert
Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like my spun bearing. I think it was my #6 main bearing which came out looking like an 'L'. Symptoms very close to yours. I didn't have any vacuum leaks.

I described my symptoms in another thread. You'll probably find it if you do a search on spun bearing.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drained the oil and saw a mist of copper in the oil I had to pour the oil into containers and then look at the residue at an angle and the residue had a copper tint to it. This is also my first oil change since I did the heads and G5x2 cam swap. It is starting to sound more like a spun bearing unless having this copper mist after doing a big cam and head swap is normal.

Gilbert

Last edited by blkbeaZ28; 04-07-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

T.t.t
Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Copper....I could be wrong but that is an indicator of cam bearing material. I just spun a bearing in my car a couple weeks ago. Almost the exact same symptoms. Mine has oil pressure at first, lugs down and the pressure drops. This is bearing material in the screen. Shut it off, and the material clears, start it back up, and you get a clogged screen again. My car even died right before the end of the quartermile (Gtech Pro measured). It was hard to start, and when it finally started it had alot of valvetrain noise, and zero oil pressue. I limped back home with one foot on the brake and one on the gas for a block. I knew the motor was toast. Been here before with other motors.

I'm going to drain my oil, and cut open my filter this weekend. I may send a sample of my oil in to whoever does testing. I'm curious what it will say.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been searching for a block since Monday. I will probably go with another stock short block and get this one built with forged internals and swap it back in. This car is my daily driver. I will have my 70 z28 back from the body shop next week so the extra block might end up in there by fall..