Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a bigger cam - need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Want a bigger cam - need suggestions!

I want to get a bigger cam for my formula and need some suggestions. Currently i have an LG Motorsports Camshaft 224/230 .581/.572. My heads are 2.02/1.60 milled .030 and I put down 398 RWHP with cats. The cats are coming off and I want to increase my numbers a bit so it's time to go bigger. I probably won't change heads anytime soon so it will need to work with what I have. What are my options? Thanks!

Rob
Old 04-15-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toonz
I want to get a bigger cam for my formula and need some suggestions. Currently i have an LG Motorsports Camshaft 224/230 .581/.572. My heads are 2.02/1.60 milled .030 and I put down 398 RWHP with cats. The cats are coming off and I want to increase my numbers a bit so it's time to go bigger. I probably won't change heads anytime soon so it will need to work with what I have. What are my options? Thanks!

Rob
The biggest point here is WHY?

Do you just want to increase your dyno numbers or do you actually want to go fast? It sure seems like most around here want to be dyno queens.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want to go faster of course

I have an M6 with 3:42's and will be going to 4:10's when I do this too.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Run what you have first. See how it does with better gearing, them change from there. You may need to go bigger or smaller on the cam.

Big does not equate fast.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I realize this, but most of my power is made up top and I would like more down low. I am thinking of the TSP 231.237 .598/.595. Anyone have thoughts on it? TIA.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Chop-Foo Director

231/237 is a strong cam. Lots of people are running it and
it seems to put down some nice power.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toonz
I realize this, but most of my power is made up top and I would like more down low. I am thinking of the TSP 231.237 .598/.595. Anyone have thoughts on it? TIA.
If you'd like to make more power "down low", you're not going t do that by installing a higher duration camshaft. You need (in general) to decrease the duration if you're going to bring in the low end torque. Top end power is USELESS unless you can stay in the powerband.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Default 231-237 nice cam

Originally Posted by DenzSS
If you'd like to make more power "down low", you're not going t do that by installing a higher duration camshaft. You need (in general) to decrease the duration if you're going to bring in the low end torque. Top end power is USELESS unless you can stay in the powerband.
i just installed the tsp 231/237 cam..its a good choice cam...makes alot of top end power...and if your gearing to 4.10 that will be goo enough for this cam to get that top end power...i wouldn't go any bigger then that tho...gear up and tune with this cam...you won't be mad...it jus all depends were do u want your power...and how your car is setup....good luck
Old 04-16-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh BOY, big cam versus small cam talk lol.

toonz - if you want to go faster, work on the chasis/driver mod. we all love to brag about dyno numbers (yes my 365 rwhp unlocked is soo pretty but my 380 rwhp locked is just for the bragging crowd). put a rear, tires, and some seat time and the car will go damn fast. that cam is just fine. if you want to go extreme and put a really large cam, by allmeans go for it. but be ready to have 4.56/28 et drags and launch really hard and shift at 7K. if you want the most extreme setup, sure, thrown in the big boy cams and set the car up accordingly. but if you just want to run 11s on motor @ 400 rwhp, that is a breeze. i run have run mid 11s @ 117mph on stock heads. at near stock weight i also believe your car is pretty light too from pics i have seen. those stock gears are a joke IMO. no cammed car (or stock cammed!) should have 3.42 gears. work on those 60' times, they are everything in drag racing (or on the street). i also belive that cam is an LGM cam? in any event, i believe there are guys that have gone DEEP low 11s with that bumpstick.

what are your goals for the car? that is the first thing to look.

Last edited by gator's 99TA; 04-16-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
oh BOY, big cam versus small cam talk lol.

toonz - if you want to go faster, work on the chasis/driver mod. we all love to brag about dyno numbers (yes my 365 rwhp unlocked is soo pretty but my 380 rwhp locked is just for the bragging crowd). put a rear, tires, and some seat time and the car will go damn fast. that cam is just fine. if you want to go extreme and put a really large cam, by allmeans go for it. but be ready to have 4.56/28 et drags and launch really hard and shift at 7K. if you want the most extreme setup, sure, thrown in the big boy cams and set the car up accordingly. but if you just want to run 11s on motor @ 400 rwhp, that is a breeze. i run have run mid 11s @ 117mph on stock heads. at near stock weight i also believe your car is pretty light too from pics i have seen. those stock gears are a joke IMO. no cammed car (or stock cammed!) should have 3.42 gears. work on those 60' times, they are everything in drag racing (or on the street). i also belive that cam is an LGM cam? in any event, i believe there are guys that have gone DEEP low 11s with that bumpstick.

what are your goals for the car? that is the first thing to look.
Holy crap. We agree again.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

j/k

well i never said that i totally agree with the small cam goes faster. i just say set it up right for the purpose intended. small cams work excellent on the stret with street combos. for track combos, small cams dont produce the desired results. when my car was used as an "example" in discussions in the past, many would forget that my 230/230 cam (big for its day) ran well and 60' great for a heavy car because of 4.10 gearing and a 4000 stall convertor shifting at 6800 rpms. my shift extention is around 5200 rpms i believe? again it is all in the setup. to me 224 is a great great cam for a fast street car.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i never said that i totally agree with the small cam goes faster.
Nor do I.

I think "smaller" cams will be faster in "most" people's cars because they are not set up properly to take advantage of the peaky power of a "large" cam.

Your car is a very good example of that. You had enough gear and converter to keep yourself in the power band of the camshaft. If you'd had 3.23 gears and a 3200 stall it would be a different story.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, here's the rest of the story and why I'm changing cams...

Until just recently I was planning on going FI with my car. Everything was set so I also made plans to sell my current cam since I would be changing it out with the FI setup. This week a few things changed and I am no longer going to do the FI setup. But, I have also decided that I'm not going to back out of the deal I made for my current cam, the buyer has already bought rockers, springs, etc and was planning on putting the cam in this week. Not a big deal to me because it gives me the chance to try something new. Hence this thread.

I understand that bigger isn't always better, but I do want something more aggressive than what I have now. I am putting a 12 Bolt and New Clutch in along with all this so I'm hoping that will improve my 60' times considerably (with tires and lots of practice of course). I have heard many good things about this cam, that's why I am considering it, but if there is something more suitable for my needs I am open to suggestions. The car will see quite a bit of track time, but will also be driven a few times a week. (What good is it to have a car you can't drive when you want to) I do appreciate everyones opinions and advice... I will be the first to admit that I am still learning here. So please, keep it coming. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, this is the point at which you must make a decision.

Do you want high average power?

or

Do you want high peak power?

High peak power has the potential to be a little faster, but you have to be a much better driver. I'm going to make the assumption that you have a M6. To take advantage of that peak power, you are going to need a set of 4.10 or so gears, a good clutch, sticky tires, and a LOT of seat time. It has the potential to be faster than the "average power" car, but you need the correct setup and have to be a very good driver. High peak power cams also have drivability issues and require frequent valvetrain maintenance.

High average power lets you get by without the perfect setup or being the best driver. The power is always there, so mistakes aren't as costly. IMO, a high average power cam is much more fun in a street car. You don't have to "give it hell" to have a good amount of fun, but it will still run with most cars. You don't have to do 6K rpm clutch drops at the line, either. High average power camshafts have generally good drivability.

So, it is choice time.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at it like that I would say higher average power... I do have an M6 and will have the 4:10's and the clutch, but I am nowhere near the driver I'll need to be. Plus, I like being able to have fun on the street some too. (Gotta love cruising after a big car show!) Drivablitly is an issue so it looks like a no brainer as for which one.

BTW - been reading the cam thread... lots of stuff there... almost too much.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, then you know where to start. Give up a bit of the top end power for a lot of average hp and torque. That is contradictory to many of the posts here, but you'll want to decrease your duration, keep the upper .500s lift, and go from there.

If you'd like some specific suggestions, shoot me a PM.